Help ID'ing this Banjo Weather Station

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SDO, Apr 12, 2017.

1. SDO

SDO Super Dave Osbourne

I received a slightly busted up all wood frame (no false backing plastic form faux wood thing here) three instrument (barometric pressure gauge is hosed) banjo weather station. I'd like to ID it, #618 is stamped on the back (see photos). Would be fun to get it back to out-of-box condition and fully working. Your help is appreciated in finding the manufacture, and the product reference online. I have had no luck with Google images and there doesn't seem to be am manufacture name on the station.

Any help is much appreciated. Regards, SDO

DSC07902.jpg DSC07904.jpg DSC07905.jpg DSC07906.jpg DSC07907.jpg DSC07908.jpg DSC07909.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It is a reproduction banjo barometer with an anaeroid barometer instead of the mercury barometer the sahpe imitates.

1960 to 1980 possibly.

Do not use weather station as a search term. There would be a few makers of similar objects. The actual maker's name is likely to be irrelevant.

I am guessing the term hosed means defective. What is the problem with the barometer? The functioning of an anaeroid barometer can be tested with a large, clear plastic bag. Place the bag filled with air over the barometer head, hold the opening of the bag tightly around the stem to make a more or less air tight seal, and put pressure on the bag. The increase in pressure as you compress the bag should show as a needle deflection on the dial.

Any money spent on it would be for your own satisfaction, it would not be worth it in terms of the value of the item.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. SDO

SDO Super Dave Osbourne

Thank you very much for your time. Hosed means broken, and when adjusting the barometer on the back it 'snapped' and the adjustment went into the cavity which the barometer is attached/inserted. I'll spend some time on that before I restore the wood work. Yep, this is a labor of love, its cool looking and unique enough to me from what I have seen online to keep it. Besides, its all wood which I enjoy having around the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted