Help ID'ing Biedermeier(?) Couch

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bgirardot, Aug 26, 2017.

1. bgirardot

bgirardot New Member

Greetings,

Inherited this old couch from our dear aunt, but do not really know anything about it for sure.

Biedermeier-couch.jpg

My wife says the family have always thought of it as original Biedermeier from about 1840 since my aunt and my wife's family all live in Switzerland very near Germany and Austria.

Can anyone help us identify if this is in fact correct? In looking for Biedermeier styles online, there are very few pieces that look like this, I basically only found 1. But since I do not know much about antiques of any sort, it is possible my searching is not very effective.

Any information would be most helpful and appreciated.

To save some grief on these forums, more photos, higher resolution are available at this link in a google photo album: https://goo.gl/photos/Zrg27KAwiAEr2aNc7

Cheers

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not a clue here! but someone will be along shortly that does. One thing for sure, Biedermeier is highly collectable.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I wonder if that back rail was a later addition ? I could very well be wrong,but because of the size and the the shape of the legs,etc,Im thinking its a later piece copying biedermeier? A pic of the bottom,and joinery,would help.

4. bgirardot

bgirardot New Member

The back piece comes off for sure. Hooks on screws, I'll get a picture of that tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted