Help Identifying Wood Head Sculpture, seems more stylized than tribal art, dated and a symbol

Discussion in 'Art' started by Sheriab, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Sheriab

Sheriab New Member

2. Sheriab

Sheriab New Member

3. Sheriab

Sheriab New Member

Found at a thrift store, I can’t find anything similar online. About a foot tall and heavy dense wood.

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The wood looks like ebony.
    I wonder if this is an early Makonde carving, but I'll tag @2manybooks for you, she'll know.:)

The symbol is probably a carver's mark. It looks like two giraffes with crossed necks. A fish or urn at the top? And 61, which could be the date.

Figtree3, Sheriab and aaroncab like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I can't be sure about this one. The wood does look like African Blackwood (mpingo), traditionally used by Makonde carvers. And the treatment of the hair looks similar to their typical work. But the face is more stylized than I have seen. When the Makonde are carving a natural human face, they tend to be smoother and more realistic. The hard edge surrounding the face of this carving is not typical. This face looks more art deco/Rockwell Kent to me. Perhaps an artist was inspired by Makonde work, and chose to use African Blackwood.

Figtree3, Sheriab and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Sheriab

Sheriab New Member

Thank you so much for your opinions! Really appreciate it. I agree in that his face is very stylized and believe 1961 would make sense for a date. I’m guessing there is no easy way to trace the maker of the carvers mark? thanks again for your help. I’m planning to sell this, any guess on value?

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

We do not generally suggest values here, and without comparisons or firm ID I would not hazard a guess.

Any Jewelry and Sheriab like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

A very attractive sculpture. Welcome to Antiquers, @Sheriab !

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted