Featured Help Identifying Underglaze Copper-Red Ceramic Plates

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lh59803, Apr 4, 2023.

1. lh59803

lh59803 Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a pair of these plates. The underlying material is metal, and based on some googling, they appear to be underglaze copper-red ceramics, although I could be wrong. They're roughly 11.8cm in diameter. The only marks on the back of both plates is the small flower design.
    A friend said that they could be Qing dynasty Chinese plates, but other than this I have nothing to go off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    IMG_8004.JPG IMG_8022.JPG

KSW, Houseful, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Are you sure there are ceramics involved? Looks to me like enamel on metal.

3. lh59803

lh59803 Member

I think you're right! There's considerable damage to the plates. Having taken another look, it does look like enamel rather than ceramic. I'm far from an expert so I'm super grateful, thank you!
    IMG_8016.JPG

KSW, Any Jewelry and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful Canton enamel plates, and your friend was right, Qing dynasty.

kentworld, bercrystal, KSW and 4 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The flower on the bottom is such a lovely detail. Someone bothered to decorate the part you can’t see!

Any Jewelry and lh59803 like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

In such cases we say in Dutch: "daar wonen ook mensen", people also live there.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted