Help identifying this item

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Amy, May 29, 2017.

1. Amy

Amy New Member

This piece is sterling silver but I'm not sure of the purpose or what the script says. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Your item appears to be either Buddhist or Hindu and would be from an area in India or one of it's southeast Asian neighbors.

I don't know what it is, although I would guess it's something like a shrine.

@Any Jewelry may know.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, and she does;).

I love your silver shrine.
    It is a portable shrine, either Hindu or Jain. If it is Jain, it is even more valuable than if it is Hindu.
    These portable shrines are always shaped like little temples, but the rest is up to the owner or artist. Yours is a very unusual one because it already has the oil or ghee (clarified butter, used as oil) lamps incorporated into the shrine. That is why I think this shrine is made for travel, not for home worship.
    Hindus and Jains do puja, often several times a day. A puja ceremony is to pay respect to a deity or dieties. It involves light, and if possible other sacred elements like water, scented oil, and incense.
    You would take a portable shrine with you on your travels with a statuette of the deity of your choice wrapped up separately, and other paraphernalia for worship. All items would go in a designated brass or silver box separate from other luggage.
    On your stops or when you reached your destination, you could put the statuette inside, fill and light the lamps, and start your puja ceremony to pay respect, and thank for a safe journey.
    The swastika evolved from a sun symbol. It is the most sacred of Hindu, etc. symbols. The vertical lines stand for cosmic consciousness and the horizontal lines for the creative principle, together these two are the root of all creation.
    The swastikas on yours turn counter-clockwise, which originally signified immediate action. That gives strength to the mantras, or prayer formulas, spoken during puja, and to the whole ritual.
    The text is in Devanagari script, probably Sanskrit. Devanagari script is the script for several Asian languages. Sanskrit is an old Indian language used for Hindu, Buddhist and Jain sacred texts and rituals.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

and she seldom disappoints...................ain't we lucky??????

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The word on the right is love in Sanskrit.
    I think the one on the left is puja.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted