Featured Help identifying this bead bracelet, is it antique?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jan 11, 2024.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I bought this for next to nothing and really like it for myself. However I can't figure out what it is. I haven't seen a bracelet like this before. I'm leaning towards white agate? The beads are weirdly shaped and are held together by gold wire. The clasp is definitely older but no markings. Can anyone help me I'd this thing? Is it just an amateur custom piece or a real antique bracelet?
    20240111_175934.jpg 20240111_175928.jpg 20240111_175938.jpg 20240111_180024.jpg

Dessert58, KSW and mirana like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think this is basically correct. A great amount of layered agate is this (non) color. I don't know if the beads are very old or just crude. Apart from the findings, does not look commercially made.

Any Jewelry, KSW and mirana like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The clasp looks like a really old spring ring. The beads look like something that would make me think it was Mexican souvenir jewelry, but the metal is all wrong. Maybe someone assembled a new bracelet of old parts?

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the way the wires are formed......I find to be amateur bench made craft........

and the beads...mismatched....low quality

looks like it was made inside of 10 minutes !:yuck:

If u like it ....great...... but I have noticed that you usually like better quality items !

:confused:...;)...:playful::playful:

Bronwen likes this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve got several necklaces made with gold plated square wire like this. I think they are 1930’s? They mostly have hooks not spring rings. I wonder if yours started off life as a necklace, broke and was repurposed and reclasped as a bracelet?
    I don’t know enough about stones to be even vaguely sure but the waves do look like agate. Do they look like the bracelet has been worn so much that the beads have been worn biconcave by the metal work or stones were cut like that originally?
    If it has worn the stone that might give a clue as it would be a soft stone.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    mirana, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Mexican souvenir pieces are made with travertine; it's almost soft enough to scratch with a fingernail. The gold wires looked older to me too, and not like something a Mexican souvenir factory would use.

mirana likes this.
  7. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

So I had this tested and the wires are gold filled but the spring ring is 14k and so is the connecting ring.... I'm thinking it was just a handmade piece in the early 1900s... the stones are all also worn concave inside the holes by the wires

KSW and mirana like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve seen that gold plated square profile a great deal on twenties and thirties stuff, especially Czech.

KSW likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s the name that was floating around in my brain but just out of grasp!

Draft saved Draft deleted