Featured Help identifying old sideboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Laurange, May 27, 2016.

1. Laurange

Laurange New Member

Bought from an antique shops that supposedly brought it back from Germany. Pre WWII? Rare because it has the Star of David and was not destroyed?

Please help with anymore information/value ideas?

New to the site so, Thanks!

Attached Files:

cxgirl, Brenda Anna and lauragarnet like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'll just throw out this question - Any ideas why the top portion is so differently carved?/made than the bottom? Was that added on at a later time after the piece was made?

BTW - very nice!

3. Laurange

Laurange New Member

Not sure. I noticed that too. There is a different look, but ultimately the same piece I believe. There is a gargoyle like carving on the drawers, a heron type bird on the cabinet doors...and the stained glass. A real mish-mash.

Attached Files:

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi and welcome!

There are some furniture gurus here that will probably give some guidance. I'm wondering if it might be Mechelen though my first thought was Spanish (don't know why). Anyway I was wondering if there are any identifying marks on it anywhere (drawers etc).

While it may be intended to be exactly as it is, I have the overwhelming desire to lift up the top portion and set on supports kind of like this.

[​IMG]

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think it is late 19th century oak and German is certainly probable. I don't think it has been messed with unless there was a center section removed as above. The Star of David is coincidental. Value on this stuff is way down. Here in our shop in Central IL a much larger one of similar age in Walnut has failed too find a buyer for a few months even at $600.00. Values might be higher elsewhere.

6. Laurange

Laurange New Member

Thanks for all your replies! We'll see what we do with it.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it would sell here at all; tastes are different. The six-pointed star is used in all sorts of decorative ways that don't have much to do with Judaism. It was used all over the Near East and well into Asia. Odds are the Germans got it either from their own Jews or from the Austrians, who in turn swiped it from the Ottomans.

Brenda Anna and lauragarnet like this.
  8. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

The "gargoyles" look like owls to me. This is a wonderful piece!

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

It should sell ok in a big city with a diverse population just because it is neat looking and there's nothing at all like it that's in production now. Nice impulse buy for someone who can just pull some spare change out of his pocket to buy it. I have to stay away from valuation especially given what others have already said, but I'd personally be happy to pay $500. and put it in the truck. That's if wife wasn't with me, she hates that kind of furniture.

komokwa and lauragarnet like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's worth that; whether you could get it is another matter.

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. Chris Nicholson

Chris Nicholson New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted