Help identifying marks on two vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RhbBtv, Jul 2, 2021.

1. RhbBtv

RhbBtv New Member

Hi all,

Hoping someone has more information on the markings on two vases I bought yesterday. The first one is a large blue and white vase with a something resembling a British lozenge at the bottom, but not quite. Can anyone tell me more about this marking?
    383hddh.jpeg
    s-l1600.jpeg

The second is again for a large vase, I believe it's Iranian but I can't find anything else about the markings on the bottom. Any ideas?

10898-1.jpeg
    10898-6 (1).jpeg

Thanks everyone!

judy likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

You are correct on the first one, it looks to be a Victorian registration lozenge, so if genuine this makes it 19th century English. I can't make out the numerals/letters around it unfortunately as this would give the date.

The second vase may well have been made for the Iranian market, but the marks on the base are Chinese, and it does look like Chinese factory production. It looks to be of relatively modern period, perhaps 1980's or 90's.

3. RhbBtv

RhbBtv New Member

Thanks so much for you reply, Ce BCA, that's very helpful. I'll dive into those Chinese marks a bit more, thanks for pointing that out.

Concerning the first vase, it looks like there aren't any registration numbers, just some dots in the corners of the lozenge. That's what's puzzling me.

KikoBlueEyes, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The first is probably recent as well, from China with a fake registration lozenge. We've seen similar on these boards previously.

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm surprised, but what a waste of effort given how little doing this is going to gain. You can buy genuine pieces for pocket change in the UK still.

LauraGarnet02, Tanya and judy like this.
  6. RhbBtv

RhbBtv New Member

Thanks for your answers

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, first has a fake lozenge, seen them a fair bit.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted