Help identifying hallmarks of this gold ring!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Torrie L, Feb 17, 2024.

1. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

Hello everyone! I found a gold ring on an auction site and there is no other information on the carat value, brand, etc. I found out that the brand is most likely "Ostby & Barton" but I don't understand what the "Y" means. I also don't know how to tell the carat value because there's no marking for it.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

4. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

5. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

6. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a major producer of gold rings in the United States until the death of Englehart Ostby on April 15, 1912, as he perished on the sinking of the Titanic.

that would seem to be your latest production date...

Oh.....& btw.....nice photo for a newbie , showing others that it is possible to get it done right....... without any hoopla regarding..." this site won't let me load photo's !!":arghh::arghh:

Well done !!!!:happy::happy:

Nice ring !!!;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that ' tarnish'....looks like the ring was sized down at some point...

Torrie L likes this.
  9. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

Hmm.. interesting, I see that little cut in the ring. I'm looking at the little spot on the side that seems to have been chipped away. I'm attaching a picture here (if i can figure out how to do it :joyful:)
    Screenshot 2024-02-17 at 10.46.44 PM.png

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  10. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

What I'm wondering is: if the 3 crowns in the middle mean "14kt gold" why is there a Y as well? I was informed by someone else the Y means "gold plated." Pretty confused right now haha

11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

BTW The US has no "hallmarks" only maker's marks.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

Thanks! So I know it's defintely an Ostby & Barton ring- now just to know if it's real gold or not

14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Welcome Torrie. Are you thinking of buying the ring? If you are trying to decide just from photos whether it is gold, that's going to be a tough one. I think chances are it probably is not gold if auction has no mention of gold content. There are always exceptions, but it is so easy to sell gold any more, that most sellers would at least try a pawn shop or similar to determine whether gold. In Roaring 20's link above, it states that this company made gold filled rings as well as gold rings, so I think you need more info about content.

If you already purchased it, testing for gold content is going to be your next best step.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  15. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

OB, an American company, were trying to make their wares look official by putting on pseudo Euro Hallmark looking marks. They weren't the only ones who did that... American silver makers also did it. The "Y" is supposed to simulate a date letter like used in England.

They also usually marked their fine metals 14k, Sterling, etc. afaik.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    komokwa, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gold jewellery is rarely pure gold, hence the different finenesses. It is usually an alloy of gold, silver, and copper.
    Gold can tarnish a little due to the silver content or even the copper content. The culprit is usually silver, so if it is yours, you could rub it with a sunshine cloth (good brand silver polish cloth).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    Torrie L, komokwa, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  17. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

So interesting! Thank you for this

komokwa likes this.
  18. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

Yes, it's on an auction site and the material is marked "unknown." I found this weird because it's a very trustworthy auction company and when I asked if they test all the gold jewelry the man laughed and said of course they do. I guess it's possible that it's a mixture of many different metals or something similar.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Torrie L

Torrie L New Member

Good to know, thanks!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Hmm... Usually if it's not solid they list as "mixed metals" or something else non-committal. My opinion based on the one photo of the spot, and that there's no metal finess mark present (unless it's on the other side we can't see), is that it's gold fill. There's a possibility the metal finess was where it was resized but.... Without seeing it myself or having the seller's accessment, I would pass. There are plenty of other second hand gold bands.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted