Featured Help identifying fern pattern jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mattiques, May 26, 2016.

1. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

Hi guys,

Recently picked this up thinking I'd be able to find info pretty easy, but I'm new to this and harder than I thought!

I believe it to be old, but hoping someone could help identify maker and possibly the year/period.

Thanks. 20160526_201344-600x800.jpg 20160526_201339-600x800.jpg 20160526_201349-600x800.jpg 20160526_201435-600x674.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Majolica of this type was especially popular in the second half of the 19th C. It is often thought of as being English but this type was also made in other countries including the US and France. Unfortunately the Chinese have begun copying the style in the last 20 or so years.

It's very helpful to have a maker's mark of course and sometimes they are impressed into the base and can be hard to see.

I did look through my Majolica book and didn't see this exact piece.

cxgirl likes this.
  3. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

I thought it was Majolica and was sold it as that so thought I'd be able to look up the mark quite easy.

I'm pretty certain it's old. It's handle is full, no holes, clay is nice and thick, cant see the pattern through it and the cracking looks old, not artificial like it can on new replicas.

Just thought it would be easier to work out than this! Ha

Matt

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

5. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

Thanks for that. It says 4H in the catalogue description, do you know what that means? I paid £4 for it so that's good

6. say_it_slowly

From looking at some of their other auctions it looks like it's how they indicate the height so probably 4". So £4 is about $5.85 in today's money so that's better than $20.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  7. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

Ah, didn't know if it was a catalogue reference or something.

Think I'll sell it as majolica as pretty sure it is but just be honest that I can't "prove" it. Though I might do some more research and see if I can find the 2 dots mark. Though looks like it has two faded dots so could be a 4 dot thing. Probably 20th century you think?

Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted