Featured Help Identifying Brass up lamp/torchiere or vase

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Gingeraz, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Gingeraz

Gingeraz New Member

3774223F-2856-44C4-8C49-FFECFD734282.jpeg I bought two brass lamps or vase holders at an antiques shop during a trip to Chicago. They were listed as Frederick Cooper brass lotus vessels. But, I can find nothing at all that looks like them. They have some resemblance to Stimmel items. They appear to be up light bases, because they have a lip inside the bottom of the cone, just above the base, that might hold something in place. And it looks like something sat (without fastenings or screws inside the top of the vessel as well. The only mark I could find was a big X on the inside of the petals at the top. There is an X on both of them. They are not vases themselves as they are hollow top to bottom, with just the lip I mentioned on one side of the bottom of the cone. But they do appear to be solid brass. There are three pieces or panels soldered together. And the brass is uneven (not machine made) and appears hammered into the shape it is. If anyone can help me correctly name the flower or leaves, as well as the binding (which is also interesting, as it has an X overlaid as well), just so I know what search terms to use, I would very much appreciate it. Of course if you know what they are, and perhaps the maker all the better. Alas, no light fixtures were included so no labels either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 6016E778-E368-45C5-A609-08D385B153CD.jpeg 22F825E3-688A-4601-B0CF-16779299CBC6.jpeg

Figtree3, judy, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, you're right about one thing.....NOTHING comes up!!!! Except what you've posted here!! They gave you no proof that they ARE what they said they are????? For that price??? One more question....how tall are they..... 10", 12"???? Thanks!!:):)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    judy likes this.
  3. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Great find! They look like flower vases to me, but could have been for fruit if they did hold a glass basin inside. Very much in the often-seen early twenty century style mélange. The banding, as you note, is quintessentially neoclassic whereas the naturalistic foliage more art nouveauish. Cast brass, no doubt, but they could be as new as the 1950s. Great looking anyway, if a bit overpolished

judy likes this.
  4. Cecil Smith

Cecil Smith New Member

They are lamps I have one like this but dark bronze style.

judy likes this.
  5. Cecil Smith

Cecil Smith New Member

Also they would have had a round plate in the top

judy likes this.
  6. Cecil Smith

Cecil Smith New Member

They are lamps. I have one buts it's very dark and not polished like bronze and they was a round plate inside on top to hold lamp post in place

judy likes this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Welcome Cecil!
    I don't know if you noticed but this thread is two years old. The person who posted the inquiry hasn't been seen here since then, either.
    It's always good to add helpful info, however, even to old threads.

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

however.....to be fair.....a few clear photo's would be required to know for sure if the info is helpful.....or subject to vigorous discussion..!!;)

Figtree3, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted