help identifying approximate year and value, if any, of this bed and bureau

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by rockwind1, May 13, 2023.

1. rockwind1

rockwind1 New Member

the bureau has a big wood framed mirror which hinges on the sides for changing the angle.

the box spring is original on the bed,,, real wood frame, horse hair, coils,

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Jut-qKKTK3Y

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Your chest is a mahogany late classical (pillar and scroll) piece, circa 1850. Actually seems to be in decent condition for its age. Not in fashion now but would have a little value to someone. As for the bed, the white one? It is a 50s or later piece and certainly a give-a-way. You also show something metal with faux wood finish?. Can't make anything of it.

3. rockwind1

rockwind1 New Member

thanks! could you recommend a place online to post it for sale? or would you know anyone who might just put it to good use and enjoy it? my mom in law would have liked that. i didn't think the white one was worth anything, or of interest to anyone,, i will attempt to re-do video of the bureau. didn't think there was any metal on it though. looks like my film making career is off to a slow start.

4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Videos are not the best way to do this, especially when you move around so quickly. If you want to find someone to sell or give it to, you’ll do much better with several decent pics with them cleared off and fully set up. Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, though personally I only use the former. Some local consignment store may also work, if that is possible for you. Really depends on where you live.

The first video of the bed (unpainted) in your other post looks like it could be mid to late 19th century, same as your chest. I’ll talk about it here, assuming you may add it here. Maybe walnut or cherry wood, or mahogany veneer like your chest? Nice four poster that could have been a rope bed except no holes or pins in the rails and you said you have a metal frame that fits it. Unfortunately unlikely to be a standard modern mattress size, so not a lot of demand though someone may want to extend the rails or use the headboard and footboard on a metal frame.

Agree with Brad about the age and style of the chest in the video in this post, but unfortunately the drawer pulls have been replaced with later ones, thus the patched holes. Glass pulls look appropriate but not quite old enough, though as he said, some may not care.

And the painted bed in this video agree with brad, no interest.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted