Help Identifying and "Restoring" Candelabra Floor Lamp

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Stnoud, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Stnoud

Stnoud New Member

Hello. I'm brand new to this site, so forgive any faux pas(es). I have a wired candelabra floor lamp that I am trying to clean up, but was hoping to figure out more information about its composition and value (e.g. valuable, not very, junk) before I accidentally ruin it (further). The lamp is likely from the Midwest U.S., more than 50 years old, and probably closer to 80. The lampshade frame is original, but not the cloth. The base and decorative piece right above the salmon glass base lamp are non-magnetic; the shaft and candelabra arms are magnetic. I thought the base was brass until I noticed that some of the brass coloration has worn off (see pic). It is almost certainly coated, painted, and/or lacquered in some places. Any wisdom and advice on the manufacture of this lamp and/or cleaning it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    IMG_2297.JPG IMG_2298.JPG IMG_2299.JPG IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2301.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hard saying who made this. Looks like someone has polished/cleaned this already. May even have a lacquer clear-coat applied afterwards. Value is minimal. likely under $50.00 if you can find a buyer. Used to sell for a lot more but a hard sell these days.

3. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!
    A nice torchiere lamp you have. I believe Art deco from the 30s.

judy and Stnoud like this.
  4. Stnoud

Stnoud New Member

Thanks for responding. That was my polishing. That’s why I got worried about taking off the brass finish. Good to know I’m not ruining a valuable antique. It still has more character than my other lamps so I don’t plan to sell it. I am curious what metal they would have used on the base if not brass or steel.

judy likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

sadly, the visible seams give it away as cheap and mass-produced.
    as for the material; hard to say. there were so many alloys that didn't stand the test of time.
    Zamak, or from the color perhaps Tombac.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombac

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have my Grams light from the 1930s. I still like the look and the wonderful light it gives off.
    greg

7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It probably needs rewiring also, for safety. That is complicated with these multi-socket floor lamps, speaking from experience. They are meant to be switched on as one, two or three side light options, plus the larger center socket. There is probably a night light under the translucent base also.

Stnoud and aaroncab like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

That's right - nightlight is turned on/off using the push button switch in the base of the lamp.

aaroncab likes this.
  9. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

10. Stnoud

Stnoud New Member

Yes, there is a night light on the bottom. I was told the light had already been rewired, but I will need to check to see if it was a simple repair or a total rewiring. I take it the original wiring is not to “code.” Thanks for the link and the heads up on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted