Help identifying an antique porcelain egg form vase with fairies. Cobalt horseshoe (?) mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ANAM, Feb 6, 2021.

1. ANAM

ANAM New Member

Hi, Just joined your forum - what a terrific resource!
    Wondering if anyone might be able to help me ID the maker of this antique vase. I believe it dates to the late 1800s and would guess German or Austrian? It stands approximately 6 1/2" tall and is almost 9" in width.
    Thank you for any help or information! IMG_1308.jpg IMG_1308.jpg IMG_1307.jpg

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  3. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

Hi ANAM, the makers mark is difficult to decipher :( It looks to be "horseshoe"(in shape) which may narrow things down a bit?

judy and ANAM like this.
  4. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

That’s Cupid and Psyche, lovers from Greek and Roman myth :) Hers are butterfly wings. Also, the colouring on them makes them 20th century— before that Cupid wore pink, and Psyche blue.
    896B4629-F6BB-4B0E-BF56-439F6F065D30.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    i need help, ANAM and ritzyvintage like this.
  5. ANAM

ANAM New Member

Thank you! Very cool observation and information!

Van_Poperin likes this.
  6. ANAM

ANAM New Member

So wish it were clearer! I agree that it resembles a horseshoe but my limited research still leaves me stumped. Thank you for looking at it!

judy and ritzyvintage like this.
  7. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

378 might be part of the item number?

ANAM likes this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Palette looks a bit like 18thc Chelsea or Derby .. this is much later though and continental hard paste - still, I think it has to be late 19thc as there wasn't much call for something like that (stylistically) in most of the 20thc IMO

judy and ANAM like this.
  9. ANAM

ANAM New Member

Thank you very much for the great information!

10. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Very nice item. Style is very much 1850-1900. Good luck with the mark

ANAM, judy and Van_Poperin like this.
  11. Van_Poperin

Here’s a paragraph to give perspective on the boy/girl colours which became so ubiquitous:
    DAC938B0-4669-4CA9-A53D-D22672885AD0.jpeg

It’s lovely piece and higher quality than a lot of other later copies, but the true 19th century copies will use those colours reversed or (more often) totally random colours.

Cupid and Psyche are always very collectible, it’s a nice find!

ANAM, judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Anam!

ANAM and Van_Poperin like this.
  14. Van_Poperin

@judy nailed it! That is almost undoubtedly the Heubach horseshoe!
    9D3F4F8C-204D-4742-A073-23C97A31E887.jpeg
    B1759C34-4C04-4556-880F-1A24918B76D4.jpeg

Sorry to say I don’t have anymore info on the mark (not my book/photo), but now you know what maker to look up!

ritzyvintage, ANAM and judy like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think so. Might be a horseshoe, but I don't see initials inside. From that angle it might be a swan.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  16. Van_Poperin

I think the horseshoe stays the same over longer periods, whereas the writing inside or other parts change regularly. You’re right, the initials are different, but the horseshoe is much too similar for it to be a coincidence.

ritzyvintage, judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I disagree. It may be a horseshoe and that's certainly worth looking at, but it's not necessarily so. It could be a strap with a buckle at the ends, or a ribbon. It might just be bordered text (the lines do look too even to be text alone).

ritzyvintage likes this.
  18. ANAM

ANAM New Member

19. ANAM

ANAM New Member

So interesting about the gender specific colors. Thank you!
    Clearing out cupboards and deciding what is worth keeping, donating, selling or throwing. Currently -20 F in Minnesota, but spring cleaning has begun!

judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  20. ANAM

ANAM New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted