Help Identifying a French Secretaire Cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Alexander Karnovsky, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Alexander Karnovsky

Alexander Karnovsky New Member

Drawer.jpg Foot.jpg Front-Closed.jpg FrontOpen.jpg Mark.jpg Drawer.jpg Foot.jpg Front-Closed.jpg FrontOpen.jpg Mark.jpg Drawer.jpg Foot.jpg Front-Closed.jpg FrontOpen.jpg Mark.jpg Hello,

We have recently purchased this beautiful secretaire cabinet in an antique furniture shop in Jaffa. The seller told that he had bought it in France.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Measurements: H: 92cm, D: 46cm, W: 71cm.

We have found this maker's mark:

[​IMG]

We would appreciate it very much if you could help us to identify the cabinet and the maker.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2021
    TraceyB and komokwa like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. Louis XV secrétaire de dame; but not original, rather a later copy; possibly Italian.

3. Alexander Karnovsky

Alexander Karnovsky New Member

Thank you, Fid, for your answer. Just wanted to understand how have you decided that it is not original and why do you think that the copy is Italian? In what period do you think our copy was made?

TraceyB likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the hardware is not of the time; and the green cover is most probably not real leather. the Italians copied everything French since Napoleonic times when the Northern parts were under French occupation. yours is not pure Louis XV but also certain aspects hint towards certain Louis XVI furniture; this is not unusual in Italian copies.
    the quality is normally very good and often used to decorate hotels and "posh" private houses.
    real one to one copies with handmade hardware and fabricated à l'ancienne - the old way - in all details are practically only available in and around Paris by special manufacturers that also deliver museums, Loire castles etc. and are "unpayable". there we would speak for a small lady's desk in excess of 12000 €.
    to give an age is hard and only a guesstimate. I see it not older than 1950s.

5. columba

columba Member

Sorry I disagree with Fid,in my opinion French 1940-50,oak sides on the drawer if made in Italy would maybe have beech or some other timber not oak,veneer is kingwood,used mostly in France not Italy.

columba.

Draft saved Draft deleted