Featured Help identify this sculpture?

Discussion in 'Art' started by brahseoh, Jul 21, 2024.

1. brahseoh

brahseoh New Member

Hello,
    I found this clay sculpture while cleaning out the house of my elderly parent, and I am trying to determine its background and whether it might have value to a collector. It is about 30 inches tall. An image search seems to indicate some similarity with a Japanese Haniwa warrior sculpture. My parent has lost recollection of its origins, but I know it was acquired at least 50 years ago, possibly somewhere in Europe. Can anyone suggest where I can look for more information about this sculpture?
    Thanks,
    BL

Attached Files:

ulilwitch, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's written on the front?

ulilwitch likes this.
  3. brahseoh

brahseoh New Member

No writing anywhere that I can find

ulilwitch likes this.
  4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

It's Magneto! :D
    upload_2024-7-21_23-22-26.png

ulilwitch and BaseballGames like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Perhaps inspired by Haniwa figures, but a modern version.

6. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

Does it ring if you tap it or make a more dull sound and if you put water on it does it absorb water or does the water run off? If it rings and the water runs off it is high fired if there is a dull sound and it absorbs water it is likely bisque ware. Bisque firing is generally the first of the typical 2 firings and the step before a glaze or oxides are applied for decoration or surface treatment. Bisque ware is usually an unfinished stage the raw clay has been fired to a temperature high enough that the clay body has changed states and cannot be combined with water back into clay. High fired is considered as a finished state and requires and extra step if glaze is applied otherwise it is difficult to get a sufficient amount of glaze to adhere. which ever state it is in is just a casual observation, it looks to be gas fired due to slight variations in color?

bisque ware is softer and more fragile, high fired is stronger and more dense and waterproof due to the clay being vitrified. Terracotta is fired to a lower temperature and is not vitrified.

none of this answers your question but may provide clues as to why?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2024
    ulilwitch and wlwhittier like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would be surprised if an artwork such as that, probably mid 20th century, is not signed by the artist in some way. If it was a Japanese (or other Asian) artist, it might be marked with a seal impression rather than a written signature, and so might be more difficult to recognize. Have you examined the bottom of the piece? Might you be able to post a photo of the bottom/interior, and a few more detailed closeups?

I have taken the liberty of reposting one of your photos full size. If you post additional views, please select "full image" rather than "thumbnail". It makes it easier for us to see.

[​IMG]

8. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That is a most unusual bit of work...very attractive, highly unique. Thanks!

ulilwitch likes this.
  9. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

So funny. I thought I read something on the front just below the breastplate. Looked to me like HAN. It's a small strip under the squares. Just me I am pretty sure. hani.jpg

Potteryplease, Marote and wlwhittier like this.
  10. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

She reminds me of a Medieval woman wearing the stiff headdress.

Draft saved Draft deleted