Help identify Russian samovar

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by flipperguy, Mar 14, 2021.

1. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

close1.jpg 20210314_112126_resized.jpg 20210314_112126_resized.jpg samovaruse1.jpg samovarbottom.jpg samovarmain1.jpg samovaruse2.jpg samovaruse1.jpg samovarbottom.jpg samovarmain1.jpg samovaruse2.jpg Hi there ..
    Thanks to the folks who suggested I create a new thread --

This samovar came with my grandfather from Russia sometime before World War I. It has numerous seals, the oldest of which is 1870. Any translation or other help is much appreciated. I think I saw "Tula" but that was about all I could decipher.

thanks all.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Firemandk and Figtree3 like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi there. Please edit your post. Under More Options on the bottom, you will be able to change your photos. On the top of your photos, please click Insert All as Full Image.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-3-14_10-8-27.jpeg

nice.....but we'll need close ups to read anything here........

4. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

Sorry -- I'm new to this. Just did what you suggested. Does it help? thanks

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

Thanks -- I'm new to this. Just edited to show images, I hope.

6. komokwa

yes u r , and yes u did..........which is good..........but i'm still thinking we need bigger pics of the writing...:happy::happy::wideyed::wideyed:

7. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

just added a cpl...

komokwa likes this.
  8. komokwa

That's the ticket !!!! Thank you !!

Now, patience......till the Ruski speakers show up !!! :hungry::hungry:;)

9. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

thanks

10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

No problem. I just wanted you to get the maximum help from the members who know something.

komokwa likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@April07 also

Sorry, I won't have time to work on this right now, but maybe later if nobody else comes through!

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Thanks for tagging April. Fig. I knew there was a third person put could not remember who.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Figtree3

I can see the name Vasili (also spelled Vasily) Stepanovich Batashev, who was one of a famous family of samovar makers from Tula.
    Some information about him and his family here. He is mentioned on page 2:
    https://www.shopsamovar.com/hystory/about-batashev/
    https://www.shopsamovar.com/hystory/about-batashev-page-2/

It's obvious from reading that the pages above were translated into English.

Here is a different site with some information about his brother.
    https://www.samovarmuseum.ru/en/archive-secrets/batashev-junior/

Firemandk and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. Figtree3

The most recent date would actually help in figuring out the approximate date this was made. Couldn't have been made earlier than that date...

16. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

The oldest seal is dated 1883. But what's confusing is that under the main seal the date appears to be 1896 (see photo). ccc.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Bakersgma

Each of the seals is in recognition of an award for some kind of merit at a competition of samovar makers. The 1896 seal is the most recent, not the oldest. Therefore, that is the best indicator of approximately when your samovar was made.

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

But if it was made in 1896, how can there be award seals from much earlier years? The samovar had to be manufactured before the oldest award competition seal, right? Looking more closely, I found that the oldest seal is from 1870. Do you think that the big seal with 1896 is another award seal? If so, it's very different from the others, all of which are smaller circle stamps.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. Bakersgma

The makers continued engraving the previous seals and award information to impress potential buyers - showing that they had a long history of excellence.

We need to have someone who can read Russian to chime in.

komokwa, KikoBlueEyes and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Figtree3

Almost nothing there is legible to me. The word in the right-side ribbon above the 1896 appears to be the word for "government." Above that, the larger letters spanning either side of the shield, are фабрич марка, which translates to "factory mark." So this is a logo of the company who made the samovar. Given that, I think the date 1896 might possibly be the date it was made, unless it was some date related to government approval.

And @Bakersgma is right, companies often touted all of their awards for years after the fact. Same thing happens frequently on card-mounted photographs from the late 19th century.

komokwa, KikoBlueEyes and Bakersgma like this.