HELP IDENTIFY JADE? LUTE w/ANIMALS, DRAGON HEAD

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 3, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I am so glad I found this site (I was actually directed here by someone on eBay's Art & Collectible Board); maybe now I can finally know what I have!
    Had this for a few years - so long I don't remember where I got it - it appears to be jade or other green mineral? that is cool to the touch.
    It is in the shape of a Chinese lute I think, with a dragon's head on one end and animals carved around a bowl like area on the other end. I'm pretty sure it's oriental from the dragon, but I swear the carved animals remind me of Eskimo art!
    It also has some of the most beautiful - and unusual - designs/art that were carved or scraped? into the stone on the bottom (last photos)
    What is this? Is it old? - The only thing I can think of is it's some kind of incense holder?
    I greatly appreciate any thoughts on it.
    Thanks
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY DRAGON LUTE INSENSE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY DRAGON LUTE INSENSE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY DRAGON LUTE INSENSE 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY DRAGON LUTE INSENSE 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY DRAGON LUTE INSENSE 4AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY DRAGON LUTE INSENSE 5A_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY POTTERY DRAGON LUTE INSENSE 5AA.jpg

Ghopper1924 and lauragarnet like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Journey, What is the size?
    Obviously it's missing something in the hollowed out portion. A container of some kind was made with a base to fit perfectly. Hmmm... it's mystery.... so far.:joyful:

I know this won't help a bit, because this seller has absolutely no idea either. It's very similar, but not exactly like your lute/mandolin thingie.

At least you'll know there's another one out there in the world, LOL!

I don't know why the seller screams HELP in capital letters in the auction title. But they do spend most of the description listing all the broken parts.
    Measurements of the carved mandolin at eBay link are:
    23 1/2" long x 10 3/4" wide x 3 1/2" deep
    Soapstone Mandolin Dragons Insects Carved Vintage Green Large Rare HELP As Is

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

WOW that is close! And that cover is what's what's missing from my hole.
    Mine measures 15" by 7" (IF other half of lute's tuning piece missing at top was there; 5" without the 1 side)
    Thanks you!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'd probably call that serpentine rather than jade - but a very interesting piece!

judy, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a Chinese serpentine model of a lute-like instrument like a pipa or a liuqin.
    The dragon head is sometimes seen on string instruments from the Guangdong area, but probably in other regions as well. The other animals could be a reference to a song.
    It is not very old, missing the central disc and parts of two keys, some glue where the missing parts used to be, but the shape and scroll decoration are attractive.
    And it features a dragon, of course.:happy:

judy, Ghopper1924 and lauragarnet like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted