Featured HELP IDENTIFY ARTIST VICTORIAN PAINTING ODD

Discussion in 'Art' started by SUPERJUNK1970, Jul 4, 2021.

1. SUPERJUNK1970

SUPERJUNK1970 Active Member

It looks LIKE CHARCOAL.
    Notice the two boats in the roads that are in disproportionate size to the figures.
    I think I saw an appraisal of a similar painting in the antique roadvshow , I recalled they pointed out the same size differences in that piece also, but I dont remember the year, state nor the artist.
    Your help is appreciated.
    20210630_154032-ccfopt.jpg 20210630_154222-ccfopt.jpg 20210630_154222-ccfopt (1).jpg

LauraGarnet02, judy and David Broom like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The boats aren't in a road, they are in a body of water.

3. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Looks like Victorian England to me. I suppose it could be one of the estates in the U.S.

judy, LauraGarnet02 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a naive work done by an untrained artist. Proportionality is whatever the artist decided was necessary to put what he wanted in the picture.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like the work of a talented child. (And, I mean that in a positive way.) Nicely composed but artist has had no formal training yet. Late Victorian; the woman are wearing bustles that date it to the 1870s/1880s. Assume a scene from life, a sketch done during a visit to a stately home on a sunny day. The boats could well be toys. Home is Gothic Revival like the one below.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

LauraGarnet02 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  6. SUPERJUNK1970

I dont remember what the appraiser said about the art but about the artist way of putting items in areas where they did not belong and disproportional to figures in scene. That is what stuck in my brain. I dont remember if he said the artist was famous but he did know who it was.
    PS: The boat without sails, looks like its carrying crosses but in CLOSER inspection. its men with hats like THE Pennsylvania Dutch.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. SUPERJUNK1970

The clouds look like initials
    But it could be just me wanting to see initials.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you please show the back of work?

judy likes this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Now that you mention that, I see it too!

judy likes this.
  10. Lithographer

I wouldn’t get to hung up on what happens on the antiques roadshow. It’s purpose is to create a visually appealing product for the viewer. The appraisals are over inflated. I have been several times and almost made it on TV twice. Had the appraisers in my ball court but got shot down by the producers because they wanted something with more eye appeal. In Chicago it was a painting of kittens over my Cuban modernist ink drawings. I quit watching the show years ago.

judy likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You can always open it up and see what you find.

Debora

12. SUPERJUNK1970

20210706_130228.jpg 20210706_130347.jpg The detail on the small boats are too good for a child.
    It's like each boat is another painting entirely.

13. SUPERJUNK1970

It's like backwards.
    When you look at it it's kinda blurry
    But you get an idea of what it is ,
    But as you zoom in. THE pixels or drawings gets clearer and more detail pops up.
    Some one said they look like children toys and I thought yes, but when I zoom in people in detail pop up.

judy likes this.
  14. SUPERJUNK1970

I HAVE DONE A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH AND CRAZY AS IT MAY SOUND, I BELEIVE IT MIGHT BE A STUDY DRAWING BY EVDUART MUNCH. I RAN INTO HIS BOOK OF PAINTINGS AND DRAWING AND HE DID DO THINGS LIKE THIS IN HIS DRAWINGS. THESE PICTURES ARE ALL FROM THE BOOK ON HIS WORKS. 20220101_132457-ccfopt.jpg 20220101_133547-ccfopt.jpg 20220101_132708-ccfopt.jpg 20220101_133117-ccfopt.jpg 20220101_133247-ccfopt.jpg 20220101_132154-ccfopt.jpg

judy likes this.
  15. SUPERJUNK1970

ALSO THE CLOUDS THAT LOOK LIKE INITIALS. .
    HIS MOST COMMON FORM OF SIGNATURE ARE HIS 3 INITIALS
    EVM.
    IN THE CLOUDS THE E IS OBVIOUS BUT ON THE SECOND CLOUD THE V IS UPSIDEDOWN WITHIN THE M. THATS WHY IT LOOKED FUNNY AND NOT A LONELY M.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    CRAZY??

judy likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you opened up the back of the frame to see what you might find underneath?

Debora

17. Lithographer

I dare you to go to a museum and tell them about your theory and then you can report back to us what they tell you. :banghead:

BoudiccaJones, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is not by Munch.

Debora

CheersDears and BoudiccaJones like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted