HELP IDENTIFY artist on a 1979 unusual print

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bigfoot, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

HELLO ALL...I picked this print up today..it was so unusual and 1970's I could not resist..the size framed is 24 inches by 15.5 inches tall..I have to take it apart and give it a good cleaning..the images have no pixels except on the edges of the figures..its dated dec 30 then the year 1979 with the artists initials..ive been researching it since 3pm and now I'm in need of your expertise...thanks in advance Andy PICT0002.JPG PICT0003.JPG PICT0004.JPG PICT0005.JPG PICT0006.JPG PICT0007.JPG PICT0008.JPG PICT0011.JPG PICT0017.JPG

KikoBlueEyes and dude like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Naturally and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Naturally and PortableTreasures like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Just saw this. Huge edition but still a Rauschenberg and definitely signed R. R. to the right of the 1979. Nothing to verify-it’s legit.

Naturally likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Appears to be in good condition too. No fading.

Debora

7. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Signed in the plate. There’s no way anyone would sign 650,000 prints. Plus his signature is pretty unique. Not simply his initials

anundverkaufen likes this.
  8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

thank you to all..you are all very impressive...just got home....if you saw it in real life I'm pretty sure you would agree its legit...im going to have to open it ..the glass has a light mold on it on the matted area but when I loop it the paper looks pretty good and frame needs a cleaning..the print itself under magnification its hard to explain but some colors were put over other colors..and what I read it was a run out of a news paper or magazine..just took a good look and there a fold in the center with staple holes.. thanks Andy....I found a piece of unsigned art pottery I might put on tonight

anundverkaufen likes this.
  9. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

im pretty sure its plate signed..im gonna take another look

10. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Definitely true. Just agreeing that it is a Rauschenberg huge edition prob giveaway initialed in plate print. Still a Rauschenberg editioned print.

11. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The fact remains that we’re talking semantics, “limiting” an edition to 650,000 copies is the same thing as an open edition. No inherent collector value, it is a poster and nothing more.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Mea culpa. I used the word "limited" ironically. Of course something produced in a multiple of 650,000 is not. But still... even if a "poster," an interesting work produced by a major American artist for a major metropolitan market.

But ¡ojo! According to the link... "The artist went to the Herald pressroom and signed 150 of them, thus enhancing their value–and the jubilation of readers fortunate enough to find one on their doorstep."

Debora

13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I agree that the edition size is absurd and to a limited edition print collector it has no value however I agree with Debora that it is still a Rauschenberg print (not a poster IMO) in a “limited” edition that someone will arguably overpay to own what they consider a “limited edition” print by one of America’s most famous post WW2 artists.

It has no value to me nor would I have it in my collection but someone will want it and know that I’d love to own a Rauschenberg pencil signed and small edition print. The OP’s print is a legit Robert Rauschenberg print which IMO is a perfect example of why buyers need to know what they’re buying.

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

Deboras link above says 150 were signed but no known examples have come up for sale..it also a gallery has one from the 650,000 for sale at $975.00

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is pretending the work is anything but what it is but what it is is fascinating. From the link I provided above...

While pursuing his MFA at the University of Miami in 1976, artist Leo Rosenblatt created a printmaking process called Stat Art, “a technique incorporating drawing and mixed media on large sheets of commercial copy film in conjunction with light sensitive newspaper printing plates.
    “Stat Art allowed unusually large runs of original lithographic art to be printed on large commercial newspaper presses with no image deterioration.”
    Rosenblatt began working as the art director for Tropic Magazine, published on Sundays by the Miami Herald, where he continued his experiments with Stat Art, culminating in what he calls “the world’s largest edition of an original lithograph,” by the well-known Florida resident and prolific printmaker, Robert Rauschenberg.

Debora

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

photo2654.jpg

Rauschenberg at the Miami Herald, looking through photography archives for source material for Cover for Tropic, The Miami Herald (1979), published in an edition of 600,000, December 1979. Photo: Attributed to John Doman.

Bakersgma likes this.
  18. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

I agree its fascinating...

19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

My point exactly. Someone without knowledge may pay something ridiculous for it.

20. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

im going to open it clean the glass and see if he signed it in the back..it would be great to find a signature...if an unsigned one is 975 then a signed one might sky rocket

Draft saved Draft deleted