HELP IDENTIFY...#7 CROTAL BELL MONTREAL GEORGE BADER

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bigfoot, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

HELLO ALL...i purchased this crotal bell approx 15 years ago..i know its signed GEORGE BADER MONTREAL #7 but know one knows anything about it not even people from canada..ive googled and looked on ebay but nada nothing nill...i tried listing it on ebay about 12 years ago and it didn't get the views i expected so i got scared and pulled it and now it comes out only on christmas...has anyone ever seen another or can tell me something about this one or how old it is...thanks in advance for any help...Andy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not I ..?? ......yet

judy likes this.
  3. komokwa

4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

wow thats interesting...really cool..thank you for your time..do you think he rang her bell...

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

yer welcome...
    I'm wondering if that bell wasn't made elsewhere , and personalized by the owner...
    I'm not up on late 1800's Montreal casting factories...

ummm, if'n they was a married couple......she'd be getting rung....often !!!:hungry::hungry::joyful:

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

hello again...i took a close look with an LED high powered loop and the writing matches the petals and the lines exactly...the writing is 100% in the mold

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

interesting........ it doesn't look like a company stamp.....
    now I'm thinking sleigh bell !!!

but......
    The majority of crotal bells were made from about 1845 to about 1920. Crotal bells were used on horse-drawn vehicles as a warning system to alert other horse-drawn vehicles of their presence.

but...they could have been ordered , personalized...!

Decoration - both the top and bottom decorated is usually a sign of age. They went from both the top and bottom being decorated (usually but not always pre 18th century) to just the bottom half (18th-19th century) then none

Aquitaine likes this.