Help ID Sumo Woodblock

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Jun 10, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Google images helped me a lot with Japanese woodblock prints but it does not recognize this one.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, the signature is of Katsukawa Shun'ei. I could not find your exact print anywhere, but here is a very similar one, maybe from the same series: http://www.mfa.org/collections/object/wrestlers-banjaku-and-narutaki-257642 .
    I cannot say if your print is an original or a later reprint. IF it is an original, it would be in very good condition, but I have doubts... Is it framed?
    Mat

3. kardinalisimo

Hi,
    Thanks a lot. I will post more pictures later on today. It is framed but the back has wooden board with nailed slats. I know it will be best to take it out of the frame for better inspection but it may be a bit difficult to remove the backings.

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I think I saw the same image somewhere, and for some reason remember the caption going something like this: "Sumo wrestler advanced move no. 18, The Super-Wedgie."

But I could be mistaken.

komokwa likes this.
  5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

6. kardinalisimo

Actually super easy to take it out of the frame.
    The paper does not appear to have significant age so I guess a more recent edition. No other text on the white areas found. So, how to figure publisher/printer and year of printing?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Kard, I was going to say that if it's on rice paper, it doesn't age the same as wood-pulp based paper. But then looking at the back, I'd say the wood doesn't look like it has any age to it, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted