Help ID signature on colored etching

Discussion in 'Art' started by rink28, Jun 16, 2021.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since I came across any pictures at my local thrift but I thought this one seemed like a candidate to grab. Unfortunately I cannot decipher the signature. I was wondering if anyone might know who the artist is? Thank you for any info!
    20210616_130858.jpg 20210616_130905.jpg 20210616_130914.jpg 20210616_130919.jpg 20210616_124231.jpg 20210616_124300.jpg 20210616_124308.jpg

2. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I tried a reverse image search, no luck. The words at the left, my guess is Italian?
    I am thinking 1920s-30s. I really like it, it is a nice etching.

rink28 likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If that first word is 'Lo', it doesn't look like Italian.

It's sort of my job around here to figure out what a scene like this is. My only thought so far is Odysseus & Circe, but having them both nude doesn't really fit the story. If it looked more like this...

[​IMG]

rink28 likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

5. Bronwen

rink28 and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. Bronwen

So the title on the print is Joseph and Potiphar in a language I do not recognize.

rink28 and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. Jeff Talbot

Jeff Talbot New Member

Looks to be Joseph and Potiphar or Persephone in French

rink28 likes this.
  8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The scene reminds me of Andromeda chained to the rocks. Looks like a ocean in the background and they are sitting on boulders? Thank you for the link moreotherstuff!

Bronwen likes this.
  9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

The picture in the link says it was signed "ivanyi grunwald". I wonder if that's the artist of mine?

Bronwen likes this.
  10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Hungary has a Latin alphabet and a Cyrillic alphabet. Maybe it's signed in Cyrillic? Maybe it's someone else? I don't know.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Some sample signatures for you.

Debora

unnamed.jpg

rink28, moreotherstuff and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

The signature is beyond me - Prinimimis for all I can tell. The title is written in a cursive that uses a form for the 's' in Joseph that reminds me of how the letter s used to be written with a character that looked a lot like 'f' except when at the end of a word. The 'and' is maybe 'eo'? Next bit looks more like 'Protiforo' than 'Potiforo'. And the 'wé' is left for wife/woman. Since Ivanyi Grunwald was Hungarian, think that's where we're at.

This reminds me of the scene in My Fair Lady where Higgins is recounting the effect Eliza had at the Embassy Ball, how everyone thought she had to be their own nationality.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    rink28 likes this.
  13. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted