Help ID mark on Moriage Vase with unusual design

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gimbler-dave, Jul 9, 2016.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

This just came in today and I'm trying to get a handle on the mark and country where it came from. I'm thinking maybe Japan? Any comments about the design would be helpful too. Thanks! ... Dave
    db_moriage_1.JPG
    db_moriage_2.JPG
    db_moriage_3.JPG
    db_moriage_4.JPG

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

The only thing I can tell you is that this isn't moriage. It's enamel. Moriage is slip (clay) applied to a piece, it is unglazed, therefore slightly rough in texture.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think it is Satsuma mid to late 1800s.

I am not very good at trying to match marks. I gave a quick run through here, before realizing your mark might be upside down.

http://gotheborg.com/marks/satsuma.shtml

Hopefully @khl889 will look in.

4. gimbler-dave

Thank you cc49. I could very well have the mark upside down, I'm never sure which side is up! The characteristics of satsuma fit this piece well. Here is a revised image of the mark, flipped based on your comment:
    db_moriage_5.JPG

5. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

The relief looks like slip to me.

lauragarnet and gimbler-dave like this.
  6. gimbler-dave

There is a small divot on the surface on the face. This is a picture of it, with the surrounding area showing the 3d surface detail:
    db_moriage_6.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted