Help! Didn't know where to put this.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg This was purchased with a bunch of old paperwork, newspapers etc. Inside this box were pictures from the 30s or so. It's all leather on the outside. The picture looks like to me, a knight of some sort on a horse, stabbing something under the horse. This appears hand made. Any ideas of the possible origin and date? It's a rather cool box.

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Armando,
    It is a man's jewelry box made of leather. The scene is a Medievil scene of St George killing the dragon. I have no idea of age since they have been made for years. I am getting an Italian vibe but perhaps Spain.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. Armando0831

Wow, learn something every day. I'll probably display it somewhere in my house as art. Find a neat little shadow box or something to put it in. Thanks!

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I thought Italian too.I have a couple of liquor bottles wrapped in leather with various scenes.

PS
    Now I am leaning towards Spain as the horse looks a bit cartoonish..still a cool box :)

Armando0831 likes this.
  5. Armando0831

Is that you in the avatar?

6. spirit-of-shiloh

Yeppers...like in the early 80's LOL ;)

7. Armando0831

Ya, the hair surely is the 80s look. I was young but I had huge crush on Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. If I may, very lovely picture.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It could come from several countries that have St George as patron saint. Spain - Catalunya - is more likely than Italy, but these are also made in places like Cappadocia.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be Ethiopian. I've seen similar treatments on things called magic scrolls.

10. Armando0831

I'm just trying to understand when you say "treatments" what is that referring to? I just took a brief look at Ethiopian magic scrolls and they are scrolls, this is a box. Did the Ethiopians do commissions for different objects? I hope I asked that right?

11. Armando0831

I found an image from a scroll that looks a lot like mine but some differences in it too. image.jpg

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's just a conjecture. "Treatment" refers to the medieval style of the rendering. The same subject could have been rendered in a Renaissance, or Victorian, or Mid-century, or realistic, or abstract, or any number of other treatments.

13. Armando0831

I noticed that there were pouches for scrolls. I wonder if this could of been a box to store a scroll that was in a book form.

14. spirit-of-shiloh

I have looked all over the net and am still looking. Can't find any like yours. It looks old to me but WDIK? I like it of course for the silly horsie. :cat: I do see similar simple boxes going for 45 bucks ;)Maybe you have a gem in disquise ?

15. Armando0831

Man I'm so slow sometimes. Someone else used that "WDIK" acronym and I asked what it meant. They replied back, means I don't know. I told them my kids use IDK for I don't know. I just read through through your statement, understanding every letter, What Do I Know. I can be slow sometimes at catching on.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Armando,
    You are young, you have no excuse.:D:D:D:D. I on the other hand am old and have an excuse.
    greg

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted