Featured Help dating two chinese "Tongzhi salt holders"

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Marran, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Marran

Marran New Member

I found these recently. As the stickers suggests, they are Tongzhi (salt holders, 1800:s according to information). Of course I am curious to know more!

There are no stamps or markings under, so no information there...

Dimensions: H: 5,5 cm D: 9-10 cm

Guess I'll just start like this, glad to see any answers or information! :)

Från sidan.jpg Ovansida.jpg Undersida.jpg

kentworld, wlwhittier and Boland like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no one puts pre made stickers on a 150 year old antique........ I'd say 20th century...made to honour older works...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
    pearlsnblume, wlwhittier and Marote like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I did you perhaps look for more info on their website? You can also e-mail them. Those numbers must be inventory numbers (I think). Do they sell proper antiques or reproductions

https://antikwest.se/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2024
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They just happened to have labels pre-printed with the era?

Debora

5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Are they not perhaps tea cup stands? But yes reproductions.

Marran likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and those even have the wax seal, signifying they're not old or culturally significant .....

8. Marran

Marran New Member

I agree. Except those stickers were just put there by the antique store as information.

For sure stickers is a warning sign, I'm sure no serious antique dealer or auction house puts stickers on something of substantial value. Perhaps it could be done to make something seem better than it is, or the opposite, if the seller doesn't have a clue. After all, anyone can sell porcelain/pottery - sellers who are genuine, fraudulent, unknowing or even stupid.

Thanks for all answers

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    Boland likes this.
  9. Marran

Marran New Member

10. Marran

Marran New Member

It's still great information,
    Wax on very old items is uncommon, but not impossible in some cases. My item is obviously not Tongzhi. Here's a bowl with wax, but likely not a reproduction: Hi peter what does the bottom say. And why the wax seal (chinese-antique-porcelain.com)

As the information on the page says; also wax can be fake. There's a lot to look out for ^^. I guess the incredible complexity is what makes this exciting.

Draft saved Draft deleted