Help dating these chairs? Late 1800s?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kaiserpoo, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Kaiserpoo

Kaiserpoo Well-Known Member

Got a few old chairs I can use help to confirm the dates. Thanks

IMG_8818.jpeg IMG_8819.jpeg IMG_8820.jpeg IMG_8821.jpeg IMG_8822.jpeg IMG_8823.jpeg IMG_8824.jpeg

2. Kaiserpoo

Chair #2 French looking

IMG_8836.jpeg IMG_8837.jpeg IMG_8838.jpeg IMG_8839.jpeg IMG_8840.jpeg IMG_8841.jpeg IMG_8842.jpeg IMG_8843.jpeg IMG_8844.jpeg IMG_8845.jpeg

3. Kaiserpoo

4. Kaiserpoo

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

These are old ones. Thinking mid 19th century. Walnut or hickory. I like the spool arms with the honest wear.

Unfortunately, chairs are rarely worth much, even at 150+ years old. However, if these fell in my lap I would do what I could to restore and repair them. With a little TLC they'll easily last another 150 years.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I like the first the best and agree with the above. Likely English in origin to my eye. Your French chair could have been made any time but seems to have some age and the tapestry upholstery probably puts to at least pre-WWII. The third one is probably late 19th century. The fourth is harder to tell. Could be late 19th century, well on in to the 20th.

7. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I also like the first one as well.

The spool turned chair and some of its elements are similar to what’s on my spool turned chair (below, at the upholstery shop and after). I created a thread here years ago and the consensus seemed to be 19th century.

Single, side chairs with a cane seat or back aren’t particularly expensive here, especially if the cane is old and needs replacement.

IMG_2963.jpeg IMG_2962.png

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like the upholstery fabric design on the second one.
    The fabric on #3 reminds me of fabric on an old footstool I have.

Draft saved Draft deleted