Featured Help dating Crystal Sevres knife rests.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Mar 2, 2024.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I bought these from my favorite thrift the other day. they had them marked at .49 cents each, so of course i bought all of them, I am sure they didn't see the Sevres marks, and the girl even asked me if I knew what they were lol.
    They are 3" x 5/8" x 5/8". Sadly, one has a small chip on the edge. but otherwise, they are in excellent condition.
    I was hoping someone might know when these were made.
    100_1281.JPG 100_1289.JPG 100_1291.JPG 100_1285.JPG 100_1286.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Somebody missed the boat - or thought somebody swiped the name.

Chinoiserie and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think you will have trouble dating this one. Cristal de Sevres is a French import/export company. The quality looks very good but I don't think the company has been in existence for a terribly long time. Researching the company history and/or its marks seems to lead nowhere beyond mention of a glassworks that existed in the 1700's- early 1800's. There seems to be a pretty huge gap between then and the late 20th century. I suspect that Cristal de Sevres is a trade name for various crystal items produced by an anonymous company or companies somewhere in France. The closest analogy I can think of is Tiffany. Tiffany closed it's glass studios in the early 1930's but continues to mark glass under the Tiffany name. It's still good quality glass but could come from anywhere. I could be wrong about Cristal de Sevres. It's difficult to find detailed books on contemporary French crystal.

5. 916Bulldogs123

I could list them for $60. and free shipping here in the US. Not a bad markup.
    Thanks @dgbjwc I was just guessing at mid century.

Any Jewelry, dgbjwc and Chinoiserie like this.
  6. Chinoiserie

Any Jewelry and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  7. 916Bulldogs123

Very cool. Thanks @Chinoiserie
    I see several of that style on Ebay. Only the one like mine that was posted by you. That seller is in the UK I think. But the shipping kills the deal lol.
    Mikey

Chinoiserie likes this.
  8. Chinoiserie

It generally does from UK to the states. One reason I don't sell to overseas unless it's exceptional circumstances. If the item gets broke you are seriously out of pocket.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted