Featured Help dating and cleaning antique lace

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Crow, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Crow

Crow New Member

Hello! I have some pieces of antique lace that my mother's grandmother collected (my mother is nearly 70, if that's any help, and I have no idea when or how her grandma started collecting the lace) and these four pieces are just so incredibly interesting to me that I just have to know when and/or where they're from lol. If anyone could help in any way, it would be much appreciated!

Also, while I'm here, what might be the best method to clean and whiten the lace? And do you think I could use it in a sewing project? All the different sizes of lion and palm tree lace is screaming at me to be made into one of those Edwardian insertion lace blouses. I don't know if I'll ever even get around to sewing one, but if I did, would it be ok to use it?

(Sorry if this is the wrong category to be posting this in! I just joined the forum)

upload_2023-2-20_20-23-54.png Screenshot_20230220-202305_Gallery.jpg

2. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Welcome @Crow! You've overcome your first hurdle by posting very nice pics of your lace. I'm not a lace person but someone will be along to help you. They'll find your thread here but in the future there is a Textiles Needle Arts and Clothing forum that would work well. If you go to that forum there's a whole string of lace articles to read that might be of help as well.

Welcome to the family!

Linda

3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I know zip about lace but wanted to say how charming those fragments are!

Crow, bercrystal, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love those lions.:)
    They are unusual, but all look like older machine made to me. I could be wrong, so I'll tag our lace expert @Northern Lights Lodge to put me straight, and help with your questions.:playful:

Crow, bercrystal, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That first piece especially has a deco look to me. I would guess 1920s.

6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with using old or even antique lace. It would be a good idea to attach it in a way that would make it easy to remove for cleaning. Or just take to dry cleaners every time. The lace was made to be used.

Crow and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I believe you have machine-made figural filet lace edging and insertion. Edging has a straight edge and a decorative edge (yours is scalloped) and is meant to be sewn along the edge of a hem to give a pretty finish. Insertion has a straight edge along both the top and bottom and is meant to be sewn ("inserted") between two panels of fabric.
    As others have said, Northern Lights Lodge is our lace expert here. She doesn't usually check in daily so don't be discouraged if it takes a while for her to weigh in with her opinions. :)
    Very pretty!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Unusual motifs. 1920s I'd think. And machine-made as above.

Debora

Crow and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

@Crow

Hi Crow! Welcome! Yes, your photos are great and your pieces are charming! All who have chimed in (@Any Jewelry @moreotherstuff @bluumz) so far, are correct! Nice job ladies!

Yes, they are machine made and are probably circa 1910 - 20; although I don't think I'd tag it as "filet" style. Bluumz is right regarding a scalloped edge - meant for edging and straight edge used as insertion.

Hmmm... now for cleaning/ whitening.
    I always advocate for "simple handwashing"... woolite is easily available and gentle. There are commercial on-line museum quality soaps (Orvis - comes to mind) available also - but they tend to be very expensive.

You don't mention how many yards you have... but if you have a lot of yardage, I'd wind it single layer if possible on some sort of round or square plastic submergible box so that you can soak it. Trying to handle yards of skinny lace is difficult to handle and not get it in knots/tangled up. It also creates stress on the fiber. If it is just wound layer upon layer, the top gets cleaner than the lower layers - so try not to make layers.

I would not advocate for bleaching - however something non-chlorine (very mild solution) may be acceptable. If it doesn't whiten to your desire - I'd match the lace to the fabric.

I like to put my soapy solution in a washtub or bathtub (if it is a huge textile project) and use tepid water. Soak, drain, rinse, repeat, etc... and when you have soaked it for the last time - be sure that you rinse VERY well to get all the residue out.

Lay all pieces on a fluffy towel and blot dry (do not twist or wring). After it is damp dry - you can spread out and "finger press" on a glass top table or water proof flat surface. Some people really want to "block" lace - pinning it all out on styrofoam. I don't recommend that for very fine lace... too much stress on fiber as it shrinks and dries.

If you need to flatten it more - then a warm iron could be used by using a damp pressing cloth over the lace.

Yes, if it survives the washing process, then you could probably utilize it. However, you'll need to continue to hand launder.

Now you'll have to remember us and send us a photo of your finished project!
    Have fun with it!

Cheerio,
    Leslie

laura9797, Any Jewelry, Crow and 3 others like this.
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

The way I've seen lace been washed is by opening up a white sheet (like a small bedsheet or a pillowcase or something).

Laying the lace onto it.

Folding it up.

And then handwashing the PARCEL in warm, soapy water - changing the water as necessary as the grime seeps out.

12. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good way also! I like it!
    Leslie

Any Jewelry and Crow like this.
  13. Crow

Crow New Member

Thank you so much!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Alternatively, you could also soak the lace in a solution of water and bleach to really shift the grime...

Draft saved Draft deleted