Featured Help dating 8 Immortals Vase w/ Qianlong 4 Character Mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jsnggltt, Sep 8, 2024.

1. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

IMG_4738.jpeg IMG_4735.jpeg IMG_4734.jpeg Hello everyone,

I have hit a roadblock finding a "like shaped" vase in my searches. I've come close (say 3 out of 5 elements) but nothing that really shouts "That's It!"

So necessarily I'm having trouble dating (or even giving a solid geographic) to this 8 immortals, coin embossed, melon shaped vase with 4 character Qianlong mark

Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated ~ Thank you

Dimensions:

Height 18" / 45.7cm

Shoulder = 27" / 68.5cm circ
    Foot = 15" / 38cm circ
    Mouth = 6.5" / 16.5cm circ

Weight = 9lbs / 4kg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2024
  2. KiwiSusan

KiwiSusan Member

Can’t help, sorry..but just wanted to say it’s very beautiful

3. jsnggltt

"KiwiSusan, post: …it’s very beautiful

Thank you. Lucky find at a resale shop. It gets a lot of attention from my guests and I’m at a loss for a backstory

4. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Thinking later 20th to current, but to be totally honest mostly because I haven’t seen this decor before, the mark is not under glazed and the gold gilding is not old. The shape is Chinese meiping, if you want to see others. Very pretty.

not sure what exactly your seeing about the immortals? Wait for other to chime in.

(Look at your post for the word edit near its bottom edit and click “full image” to help those with a phone view your post. This will get you more views.)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2024
  5. jsnggltt

mmarco102

The shape is Chinese meiping

(Look at your post for the word edit near its bottom edit and click “full image” to help those with a phone view your post. This will get you more views

Thank you, I've changed the photos to "full image"

Yes, it's definitely meiping-ish but it has zero waist IMG_4710.jpeg
    Just a smooth, even taper from shoulder to foot

komokwa and mmarco102 like this.
  6. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

Definitely later

aaroncab and komokwa like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. My guess is very recent Jingdezhen, it has that quality.
    A meiping doesn't have a waist. Sometimes the base is flared, but not always. So yours is definitely a meiping, no -ish needed.;)
    You could call it a melon meiping.

kentworld, mmarco102, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  8. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

:hilarious: I wanted to say that. :happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Great minds need no -ish.:smug::hilarious:

mmarco102 likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I really like it, but I agree with the others that it is likely fairly modern. Perhaps a modern twist on old decoration and design? I wonder if that mark is on gotheborg.com

11. Any Jewelry

It is as if they want to showcase every design they make. And it even works together.;)

kentworld and mmarco102 like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I looked..... no exact match....but Sothebys out of Hong Kong sold a pair.....solid pale blue..... with what looked like an authentic old mark......that was very close...
    No double red line with gold backing........and the price was..... WOW.......

kentworld and mmarco102 like this.
  13. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Age: yesterday at earliest. Maybe this morning. It’s damn nice though. Has great decorative value. Maybe it will be considered a fine antique that when your great grandchildren are old. I’d have bought it at the right price.

komokwa, kentworld and mmarco102 like this.
  14. gckimm

gckimm Active Member

Definitely the Eight Immortals decorating the vase. Pictured are Zhang Guolao (top, holding a peach of immortality) and Han Xiangzi (bottom, playing a flute).

kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted