Help! Currier & Ives Litho or Print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by R32, Jun 8, 2021.

1. R32

R32 New Member

20210608_201718 (2).jpg 20210608_204722.jpg 20210608_201718 (2).jpg 20210608_204722.jpg 20210608_202523.jpg Any ideas about this one. I picked it up at an auction and came with a bunch of items.
    Currier & ives. Winter in the country. The old grist mill.

Image size is about 18 1/8 x 26 13/16
    image with margins is about 22x 29 3/4

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is that mounted on some kind of board?

judy likes this.
  3. R32

R32 New Member

No board. Just one piece. I took it out of the frame like that.

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a laminated poster..

maybe some more pics might help clear things up..

judy likes this.
  5. R32

R32 New Member

20210609_010303.jpg I tried to get a better picture of the side. I think it is 2 pieces. The paper on top of the board.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2021
    judy likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Modern, I would think. That's foamcore and it certainly wasn't around in the 19th C. That said, I have an 1809 engraving that someone mounted to a piece of foamcore... unfortunately.

But Currier and Ives is reproduced a lot. The paper looks very white for it to be an original print.

Is there a date in the printing under the image?

Have you looked up other examples to compare paper and size?

Aquitaine, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

This probably doesn't help....it's just the full size of the corner of the thumbnail posted in #5 above..........

CORNER OF C N IVES.jpg

9. R32

R32 New Member

The board is the only thing that's throwing me off. The dimensions are spot on from what I had read. I don't to see symmetrical dot patterns. I see a lot of blue on some originals but this one has a lot of red. If you look real close behind the woman with the cows there is a red smudge behind her and above the center heading in the around the flowers there is red smudges in random spots. Very small just details I noticed. I do appreciate the feedback so far. Thanks.

Attached Files:

10. R32

R32 New Member

20210609_113254.jpg 20210609_114246.jpg more pics

11. R32

R32 New Member

20210609_114439.jpg 20210609_113413.jpg Last of pics.

komokwa likes this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Please check the box for Full Image when posting photos. I’ve enlarged these.

komokwa likes this.
  13. R32

R32 New Member

Okay. Thank you.

i need help likes this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

When prints fade, it's frequently the reds that go first. So it's possible that a copy of this print that looks blue is faded. You want to make sure that the stuff printed under the image is exactly the same as on originals. Repros frequently omit or alter that information.

R32 likes this.
  15. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

In the 1960s, Currier and Ives's prints were very popular when the decorating trend was Early American. There was a calendar and book published both of which can still be easily found. Many of the calendar prints were later sold as originals. C&I prints were made by stone lithography and hand-painted. Therefore, you will not find the dots of modern printing on the originals. However, their popularity rose after WWI and many re-stikes were printed. That might be what you have. I noticed the letters are not strongly printed. The stone lithos had a limit on the number of strong prints that could be handed pulled. Since what I have written is from memory as a small collector, I would not testify in court or call myself an expert. LOL

R32, komokwa and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted