Help - Americana -Flemish - European?

Discussion in 'Art' started by SEAN DINEEN, Sep 26, 2020.

1. SEAN DINEEN

SEAN DINEEN Active Member

Hello this fine Saturday! I came upon these oil on wood board pictures at an estate auction and was curious of the style/origin/age. The estate was a WWII vet who passed and majority of the art was from Europe during his deployment. The art is not signed, but the colors are still quite vivid.

Any suggestions/insights?

SmartSelect_20200926-092806_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20200926-093933_Gallery.jpg 20200926_094220.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200926-094522_Gallery.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Still lives. They appear to be oil on board. And amateur work. Not sure you'll ever be able to discover more. Except they don't look terribly old.

Debora

SEAN DINEEN likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I saw a lot of these during the late great 80s when everyone was cramming their houses full of "old world glamour" . I suspect these are from then.

4. SEAN DINEEN

1880's? ;)

5. SEAN DINEEN

Thanks Debora...the nails used hold pictures in the frame are early machined from late 18th C early 20th C. Do they look mid late 20th C?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No idea re nails. But can't assume paintings and frames are of the same period.

Debora

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im not THAT old ! LOL !

SEAN DINEEN likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The bottom frame looks a bit cobbled together. The red insert looks 1970s. And wood next to the painting appears to have been overpainted in black matte at some point.

Debora

SEAN DINEEN likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted