Help aging walking canes (part 5 and my most exciting!)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mattiques, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

Hi,

This is a cane I'm most excited about out of the lot. Doing some research a cane very similar came up and sold for over £100, so hopefully I've got something good.

I believe it may be victorian in age and the weighted leather handle meant it could be a "fighting stick" used for self defence.

It's made from bamboo and leather. The stitching and leather looks old and feels great. It has a metal ferrule, which is worn down, so I'm hoping this all adds up to age.

Any info you can provide or confirm my suspicions that it's victorian would be helpful.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd call that one a whangee stick, an old China hand would carry one to start the coolies with, the loaded end ready in case of any insolence. Not so much a fighting stick, more an impromtu self defence stick. If you anticipate a fight, a swordstick is a better bet, giving both a blade and a main gauche. Do not take a knife to a gun fight, but it's a good idea to take a sword to a stick fight.

Sometimes described as loaded canes.

Mattiques likes this.
  3. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

Yeah, sorry, bad use of language by me. I meant it in those terms, as a self defence stick.

Do you think it could be Chinese then? What would make you think that?

Thanks for the info. Love finding new stuff out! Ha

Matt

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cane or walking stick self defense is an old concept....and art form...

[​IMG]

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

That's gonna leave a mark. Pretty scary. Since it is lightweight and slender, that thing would fly through the air...

Mattiques likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have a slender 1927 gentleman's cane here....and it's much heavier than you would...( wood ! ) imagine..

Mattiques likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted