Featured HELP! 1 day hold 4 me - Large, Antique, Metal Hand Crank Toy Egg Laying CHicken - Not a Toy!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 21, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This cool piece came into my friend's thrift store this morning - he already had it on the floor with a $199 price tag. I wanted it, but I need to be sure it's worth it because money is tight right now - brake pads on car being replaced tomorrow + my dog has another vet visit + medication that I have to pay for tomorrow + my eclectic bill just came in!
    And since being a picker means you go between ribeyes and ramon noodles - and it's ramon right now(!) - I asked if he would hold it for 1 day till I got a chance to ask for help here & he agreed.

A google image search just turns up old tin litho toy versions, and while the outer skin is some kind of thin metal, when you lift it - it is very heavy!

I figured it was from a old boardwalk or carnival (notice the screw hold on edge in last photo where I show the bottom - it was attached to something to secure it, but I don't see any coin slot (except maybe the loose piece I'm holding in my hand that was laying inside it?) - and a carny piece would not be for free!

Any idea what this is? When it's from? And is it worth $200?
    It's cool - it even has 2 of the colorful eggs the chicken would "lay" still inside (they are in what looks like a old rotating coca cola / soda dispenser you'd find in a early soda machine)

I greatly appreciate ANY help!

CHICKEN EGG LAYING CRANK HANDLE 1AA.jpg CHICKEN EGG LAYING CRANK HANDLE 1CAA.jpg CHICKEN EGG LAYING CRANK HANDLE 2AA.jpg CHICKEN EGG LAYING CRANK HANDLE 3AA.jpg CHICKEN EGG LAYING CRANK HANDLE 4AA.jpg CHICKEN EGG LAYING CRANK HANDLE 4CAA.jpg CHICKEN EGG LAYING CRANK HANDLE 5AA.jpg CHICKEN EGG LAYING CRANK HANDLE 9AA.jpg

Lark, judy, Owliza and 9 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say it was used in a pub. Hard-boiled eggs were a common lunch item in the latter, and sometimes pub and "grub" were a package deal, so it wouldn't need a coin slot.

Lark, judy, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

$200 for something with a $2000 estimate that it blew past? Sounds like a good deal to me!

judy, tie.dye.cat, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Thank you!!!

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

Condition! The hen from the auction was in good condition. The hen at the thrift shop is definitely a fixer upper.

Here is a long thread at a collector site about countertop hen on a basket egg vending machines. I see from some of the pictures that some even came with an iron table and people would sit out on the street and sell eggs. Haven't read the whole thing but it's pretty informative.
    https://pennymachines.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4048&sid=0d998e7cdb5708fad3031048bdf0a4c3

judy, tie.dye.cat, Lucille.b and 8 others like this.
  7. LauraGarnet02

judy, tie.dye.cat, Lucille.b and 5 others like this.
  8. LauraGarnet02

Hey! I just noticed looking more closely at your pictures, I think the slot for coins is on top of her head, the "comb".
    And... I went back to the figural hen vending machine thread, I think there is a picture of exactly the same hen. MUM is the manufacturer of the machine.
    Screenshot_20230221-151625.png

kyratango, judy, tie.dye.cat and 8 others like this.
  9. journeymagazine

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great link @LauraGarnet02 :)

you find the neatest stuff journey:)

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

kyratango, Lark, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Great find!

I love that down in Miami you have Ramon noodles! Either you’ve never been broke enough to eat just noodles or it really is just a Cuban dude named Ramon that makes you noodles down there. Everywhere else we have Ramen noodles. I bet Ramon noodles are spicy! :p

13. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It would help if the coin mech works.

Ive seen similar produced in Germany from the 20's
    They were fairground machines that layed a tin egg containing a boiled sweet or a pair of cufflinks as a prize after inserting 10 Pfennigs.

kyratango, Lark, tie.dye.cat and 3 others like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree with Cxgirl. Journey, I never know what you are going to post! About half the time my mouth drops open with surprise. This was one of those times. :woot:

Awesome information and links :) @LauraGarnet02

15. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

BIG Congrats JM ! You just might've paid-off the Vet bill & the brake pads-god knows you earn it brother.Love old vending machines.I like the rough patina,kinda gives it a 'folk art' vibe-but bidders will like them better with a bit of cleaning.

kyratango, Lucille.b and tie.dye.cat like this.
  16. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

17. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I would have bought it for 200 if it worked. Around here many people raise chickens therefore they collect anything chicken or egg related.

kyratango and Lucille.b like this.
  18. bosko69

Chickens & Roosters are stars of the 'Farmhouse' 'Pioneer Woman' look.18th & 19th portraits of famous Fighting Cocks can go for big $.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  19. LauraGarnet02

:chicken:We haven't had an update from @journeymagazine yet, so don't know if he went back and bought it or not.
    Reading your post, that makes me think he should put keywords in the title of his auction that would attract vending machine collectors, chicken themed collectors and antique farmhouse decor collectors.

:nailbiting:I always get such a sense of dread when people ask if they should spend a big chunk of money on an item. Especially when it is so difficult to find exact or even comparables and what they have sold for lately or in the past.

I will pray for a very good profit above and beyond all expenses of original purchase price and selling fees!

20. bosko69

Journey-Go ahead & buy it for me.Shipping & Commission to follow.
    PS-Maybe I should ask my Wife first ?
    PSS-Laura-I think it's all about the current market taste & of course condition.With a 'Farmtique' like this, shabby chic (for me) is fine,but for the 1-4K collector,who knows ?

kyratango and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted