Featured hello...unusual piece of heisey flash colored glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bigfoot, Oct 13, 2023.

1. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

DSCF4131.JPG DSCF4132.JPG DSCF4133.JPG DSCF4134.JPG DSCF4135.JPG DSCF4136.JPG DSCF4137.JPG DSCF4139.JPG hi all...i had this heisey plate for a long time..was told a long time ago it was extremely rare form..it has the H in the diamond in the center on top not the base..see photos..ive looked on ebay on and off for over 5 years and i have not bumped into another and nothing even close but i also dont look every week..the gold gild shows no wear...the flowers are hand painted enamel and raised and the flashed yellow and dark blue back is 99% intact with no touch ups ...i was wondering if anyone had an opinion...thanks in advance andy

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2023
    lovewrens, judy, TallCakes and 4 others like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Cherryhill your assistance is needed, please. :happy::happy:

In the absence of our resident Heisey expert, I got out his books that are on my shelf & tried to find a piece like yours.

Unfortunately, I could not find anything. :(:(

I did learn that the color is likely "Ivorina Verde" which is Heisey's name for what some people call "custard glass".

https://heiseymuseum.org/heisey-glass-colors/

I also learned that most decorated pieces were done by other companies after they bought the blanks from Heisey.

My SWAG is that this piece was an underplate or liner plate for a cheese & cracker set. I am basing this on the recessed center where the small dish that held the cheese would sit & then the rest of the plate would hold the crackers.

Here is a cheese & cracker set done in the Yeoman with the decoration done by Wheeling. I do not believe this pattern was done in the Ivorina Verde color but it gives you an idea of what I am describing.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/heisey-yeoman-cheese-cracker-set-1799538379

The bottom line it is a beautiful dish & I understand why you have held onto it. :happy:

You may try contacting the folks at the Heisey Museum to see if they can help you out with a more concrete ID. :happy:

Figtree3, judy, TallCakes and 2 others like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

my first thought was possibly Wheeling Decorating Co.
    emailed Tom and hopefully he will be checking in...

Figtree3, judy and bercrystal like this.
  4. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

thankyou so much for all your time....what i like most is the fact the flashed back is pretty much perfect...you dont see flashed in this condition

judy likes this.
  5. bercrystal

I did check & he hasn't posted anything since January. I hope he is doing okay & will check in to properly ID this piece. :happy::happy:

judy likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

In this link, look down further to the Marigold color. I have actually seen one or two examples of this color at the Apple Tree Auction Center in Newark, Ohio. It was many years ago. These pieces are rare because not many were made. As suggested in the link under Marigold, test your plate under a black light and see what happens. You can find a blacklight flash light at Home Depot for under $10. Let us know what you see. I agree that this is an underplate for something, likely the cheese and cracker set. Please provide measurements or at least diameter of the plate. I also agree that the decoration was done by another company like Wheeling Decorating.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. bercrystal

Hopefully, Tom will stop by with a definitive answer for @Bigfoot. :happy::happy:

The marigold color looked translucent whereas the OP's dish has a milky-like appearance so that is why I went with the Ivorina Verde but then again this is a rank amateur's SWAG. :p:rolleyes::rolleyes: :hilarious:

I tried to find a pattern that had a plate like this one but did not find anything. The 2 main patterns that used this color were Winged Scroll & one of the beaded patterns. (I can't remember the name & right now I am too lazy to go get the books down out of the bookcase again. :facepalm::facepalm::bag::shame:) This plate doesn't appear to be either.

It will be interesting though, to see what a backlight shows with this piece.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. TallCakes

maybe @Bigfoot can opine, but I gather from description that the colors here are from the decoration on clear glass; hard to tell from images alone sometimes. Not sure of the Heisey pattern used here; tho' Revere and Yeoman are plain designs. Hopefully Tom will opine as well; took a while to here back on the email. I think he's in the midst of relocation so not accessing email too often; I did provide a direct link to this thread.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  9. bercrystal

I totally missed the "flashed yellow" part. :oops::oops::bag:

That's what you get sometimes when you let rank amateurs handle the work of the pros. :p:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes: :happy:

10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

What a day... I had a crash, a long time ago, lost lots of bookmarks, just got back, found I now have to have a password....

OK, you've solved the puzzle above, nothing I can ad.

I didn't realize, the color of the glass is not canary, but flashed/stained? crystal? It looks like Ivorena Verde to me

Figtree3, bercrystal and TallCakes like this.
  11. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

yes the yellow and blue on the base are flashed and the gold and hand painted flowers are on top

12. bercrystal

@Cherryhill - It is good to have you back!! :happy::happy:

Maybe @daveydempsey @Bookahtoo or @i need help can help you out with your password issue.

It seems there is some confusion as to the coloring of this dish.

Could Wheeling have done the yellow-colored flashing on a crystal Heisey dish?

Do you recognize the pattern of his dish?

13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble with this, not the pattern, (the pattern is one of two or three standard lines made for decorating and not particularly important. What (to me) is important is the color of the glass.

Flashed usually implies iridescence, not a transparent color. The blue is an enamel, fired on color, not a stain. This yellow appears to be the color of the glass, and its' not the nearly opaque Ivorena Verde, and its' not as dark (toward amber) as Marigold.

Does it react to Black Light? If not, it may be an applied on-the-surface stain. If not a stain (and I don't think it is stained) it's an unusual color. I remember having (decades ago) an 8" bowl about the same color. Yes, it too, was signed with the Diamond H.

14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The yellow part of this plate sure does look like the color of the glass, not a flashed color. Maybe if the photos were larger? Could see it better.

15. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

im adding 2 MORE PHOTOS from both sides of the dish on the same wear mark...both the yellow and dark blue are 100% flashed..this is the only spot where there is a wear mark on this dish or it would be perfect...the fact that the condition its in now ...is a miracle

16. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

these are the close ups from both sides of the same wear mark...the top looks like clear glass with yellow below

Attached Files:

bercrystal likes this.
  17. TallCakes

long shot, but you might check James Webster's book

[​IMG]

Bakersgma and bercrystal like this.
  18. TallCakes

technically, it's my understanding that 'flashing' is adding an additional thin layer of glass in the blowing process. This is pressed glass with a fired on layer of colored paint/chemical.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
    bercrystal likes this.
  19. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

call me crazy but this looks like Westmoreland decoration to me -

20. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Active Member

thanks to all who helped..i received an email from the heisey museum..ill cut and past it below.
    Good afternoon,
    Thank you for reaching out to us about your Heisey plate. It appears to be from the Yeoman line and was decorated from an outside source.
    It's a beautiful piece, enjoy it!
    Cheryl Varrasso
    Heisey Museum

Draft saved Draft deleted