Hello trying to find out what kind and how old my buffet with mirror is

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Curtis O, Jan 5, 2020.

?

Who's the manufacturer and how old. My research leads me to believe it is an American empire

1. Late 1800s or early 1900s?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. American empire?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Curtis O

Curtis O New Member

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Trying to show more details by lightening it up a bit.

1a.jpg

3. It looks like a really nice piece! Do you happen to have photos of the drawer sides - front and back? The dovetails on the drawers can be good indicators of age and quality (dovetails on both the front and back of a drawer are a sign of good quality, since it takes more time/skill to do!)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Also the back of a piece or underside of a drawer can be a good indicator of age. Really old wood can darken with time.

Any Jewelry and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hello! Welcome to Antiquers.
    No, it isn't american empire, more likely 1920s-30s jacobean revival which has 2 or 3 different styles mixed in.
    Wait for others to post as i could be wrong, way out of my area of interest. @Ghopper1924 and @verybrad

6. Curtis O

Curtis O New Member

Thank you. And there are no marks or nothing that I seen. I took the drawers out and everything

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. James Conrad

As noted above, It would be helpful to post a photo of drawer construction & back to see wood species, construction details.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. James Conrad

One thing for sure, it isn't American Empire which has become a very confusing style, mostly because of marketing. There was a blog, now gone that explained Empire very well but it's MIA now so that's that, wish i had saved a screenshot of it but didn't, was written by Hollie Davis who writes a monthly column on MAD
    "Real" American Empire is very rare and usually very expensive.

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not thinking Jacobean Revival but rather a nice and rather unusual mix of Aesthetic Movement and neo-Renaissance elements. Oak (and others?) ca. 1890. Very nice!

10. James Conrad

This could very well be correct which is why it's kinda important to post pic's of drawer construction. If the drawer dovetails are hand cut, would indicate before 1900, if machine cut, 1900 and later if your cabinet is american.

11. Curtis O

Curtis O New Member

IMG_20200105_163922985.jpg IMG_20200105_164244568.jpg IMG_20200105_163943048.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think late 19th century. Ghopper's description of the style is right on and might just be called a Victorian pastiche.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  13. Thank you so much for the photos! The dovetails on your drawers indicate that it's a piece with some age to it. They appear to be done by hand, rather than machined, because they aren't strictly mirror images of each other. It looks to me like a Victorian era piece for sure.

14. Curtis O

Curtis O New Member

You're welcome and thank you for all the help. How much roughly do you think it would apraise for?

15. Curtis O

Curtis O New Member

Thank you for all the insight and help about this piece. Roughly how much do you think it would apraise for?

16. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Don't know where you are, so it's hard to say. As beautiful as your piece is, brown furniture like this has been in a depression for years, and is rarely worth what you think it is, or should be. In my part of the U.S. Midwest I would expect that it would sell for something like $300 at auction.

17. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Unfortunately so. Tiger Oak is sooo heavy. It is beautiful tho. I’m enjoying all my dark furniture. That is purely personal and what the fam damnley left me with. Ha ha! Have to love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted