Hello everyone, could you please help identify tea cup & saucer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ulilwitch, Mar 8, 2021.

1. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

While at my sisters house over the week end I saw three items in her curio that I thought were pretty. Here is one of the items. pink cup and saucer 1.jpg pink cup and saucer 2.jpg pink cup and saucer 3.jpg Could you please help identify. I can't take any more photos because they are at her house, not mine.
    pink cup and saucer 1.jpg pink cup and saucer 2.jpg Thanks, Susan

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I can't see the handle, but it looks like a Shelley Stratford shape.

ulilwitch, Ce BCA and i need help like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

@janetpjohn is correct, although on the spec sheet they call it daisy. I thought it was Stratford too.

Screenshot_4.jpg

judy, Bakersgma, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  4. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

It is a Shelley Daisy shape registered in 1888, but of course it was used from then on (1889-1913) which would make it more likely Wileman than Shelley. The registration is pre-Shelley during the Wileman era. And it looks very Wileman to me but I can't tell anymore from the photos.
    Just curious -- what does it say on the saucer bottom?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    judy and ulilwitch like this.
  5. ulilwitch

judy likes this.
  6. ulilwitch

Sorry, had to take my husband to the Doctors. This is what is on the bottom of the saucer, 1109 Rd117220 Rd.115510. thank you.

judy likes this.
  7. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

Well, that's curious. The saucer did not look like it belongs to the cup, although they may have the same pattern. The saucer shape was registered a year later than the cup shape. But why the saucer has two registered numbers is unknown to me.

judy likes this.
  8. ulilwitch

That is strange. Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser.

judy likes this.
  9. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

Pottery houses were not very disciplined in applying backstamp information but Shelley was one of the best for staying accurate. That's why I wonder why there isn't a proper Shelley or Wileman backstamp on the pieces. I am questioning the 1109 number as well. Are you sure that's what it is? My notes are not complete and this is prompting me to do more research as my own collection needs updating.

ulilwitch and judy like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

One Rd for the shape, the other for the decoration. It's fairly common.

ulilwitch and judy like this.
  11. ulilwitch

Tried not to reduce the size so much. saucer.jpg

12. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

I never noticed the embossed Rd number on any of my pieces which I assume would be for the shape; the other for the pattern. Apparently only the early pieces had the embossed number with or without the printed number; later pieces only have the printed Rd mark. Both of these were registered in 1889. So you could date your cup/saucer 1889-1913. Now I need to take a look at my older Wileman pieces.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    ulilwitch likes this.
  13. janetpjohn

You can see on the chart that the two registration numbers are one above the other, the top one says S for shape and the other P for pattern. The pattern is described as jungle print. You can find it in blue as well as pink if you google Shelley porcelain jungle print. I can't explain the pattern numbers.

ulilwitch likes this.
  14. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

f
    I hope ulilwitch will do the google search because to my eyes her cup/saucer is definitely not Jungle Print.

ulilwitch likes this.
  15. janetpjohn

Yes, a strange name for this pattern.

ulilwitch likes this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

ulilwitch likes this.
  17. i need help

18. Ladybub

Ladybub Member

The Jungle Print in my Shelley book is very orange and heavily patterned. I wish I knew what that 1109 number is and I wish I could get a better look at the bottom of the cups. I remain perplexed.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  19. i need help

ulilwitch and Ladybub like this.
  20. janetpjohn

I think the difference is only that the one above is a plate and in orange. We've seen it comes in several colors, and we know that a saucer and a plate usually differ in the pattern placement.

ulilwitch, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted