Featured Hello can someone help me with some information about this piece?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Phil L, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Phil L

Phil L New Member

4149D254-F8DF-4949-B90E-B422EC44F943.jpeg 0BD7FD5B-428B-43F5-8E77-97E678400F1C.jpeg Hello all. First time poster. I have been given this Weiman writing desk. I was wondering what year this is from and whether it is valuable? It seems to have gold leaf on the legs and I’m not sure if that is original. It may need to be restored, I’m not sure. And help appreciated. Phil (Sydney Aus).

judy, Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

judy, Boland, Aquitaine and 1 other person like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks to me like it's still having a pretty GOOD life!! I only see one little nice in the front edge....something I'd probably not worry about too much, but depending on how formal your use is going to be!!! AND WELCOME to ANTIQUERS @Phil L !!:):)

judy and Boland like this.
  4. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like it need any kind of restoration. A good waxing is all it needs. As for what it is, well, it clearly is a late 20th century revival piece (or maybe even newer), mass produced by some Weiman, most probably locally. So, no value as an antique, but as a table, not bad at all!

judy, Aquitaine and Boland like this.
  5. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

There are three similar desks that sold at auction listed on liveauctioneers.com. Sales were $100, $275 and $325.

judy, Aquitaine, Boland and 2 others like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I meant "nick", not "nice" above, 2nd line...sorry....just didn't get back quick enough to correct it!!

komokwa and judy like this.
  7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Figured it was Old Nick, but he's in the details, isn't he! No need for "repairs" there anyway, touch up the color with a marker a little bit and fill it in with hard wax, and it will go unnoticed for another twenty years.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  8. Phil L

Phil L New Member

thanks for the reply!

Draft saved Draft deleted