Hello, Better Late Than Never

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Diggummup, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

That's what my mom used to say anyway, lol. Just a quick hello. Been here for a little bit now but never formally introduced myself. My name is Rob, I'm 52 and I live in Dania Beach, Fl.. I've been with my darling lady for the last 18 years. I like collecting/buying many different things. My interests run wide from Militaria to jewelry. I know a little bit about a lot of things but am not an expert in any one field. Mainly I buy things cheap enough to resell and make a small profit, while at the same time keeping certain pieces for myself. This way I have no money wrapped up in anything. That being said, everything has a price and there is no sentimentality attached to anything I've purchased and eventually it will all be sold. That is what separates me from a hoarder. LOL!

2. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Welcome to our board !!! Sounds like you have a plan!!!;)

Diggummup, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Diggumup! I’m glad you’re coming out of your shell. :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Rob! Thanks for sharing your story!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Diggummup, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

We're almost living the same lives, Rob.

6. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

I remember my parents taking us kids to Dania Beach in the late 60's. We took a stroll there downtown at night. The many antique shops which were flourishing at the time were all closed up but we marveled at the variety of antiques displayed in the windows. We later had ice cream at Jaxson's down the road.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Hi, Rob. My parents always did flea markets and had second hand stores so I've literally been in the business since I was about 8 years old riding around with my Dad when he went on buying trips. My ex husband and I had a store for awhile. I, too, have an eclectic collection of 'stuff' which I periodically sell down so I can collect more 'stuff.' My Dad had a business card which said "Antiques and Junque Bought and Sold."

We had a friend who was the night manager at a hotel called The Seasons of Lauderdale back in the 70s. He lived in Dania and we used to go down and visit him. Small world.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Welcome Rob! I havent been to Dania in decades,Im sure its nothing like the charming little sleepy place I remember.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Rob.
    I have never been to Dania.:playful:

Diggummup, aaroncab, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE your plan, Rob, and it sounds like a solid one!!!! WELCOME, although we've seen you around and about!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Rob!

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

16. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Rob from the land Downunder. ;)

Diggummup and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Rob !!! ... Joy.

i need help and Diggummup like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Rob! Glad you decided to post this.

19. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Welcome, we’re neighbors in the big world.

20. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately nothing stays the same. I think ebay was the beginning of the demise for many of the shops around here. Most of the antique shops have closed down but there are still several left. I actually bought a glass display cabinet (among other things) out of one that closed this past year. Jaxson's is still there as well as Grampa's Bakery. The crime rate is flourishing as well too, lol.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted