Height of standing desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DougK, Jan 1, 2023.

1. DougK

DougK New Member

I am restoring a standing desk (I believe that it is a standing desk) that was used by my Great Grandfather in his business. It was refinished in the 1960's-70's and I believe the legs were cut off at that time. I want to restore it with the correct height legs, but I don't know how long they should be. Can anybody give me some information on how high the bottom of the desk should be off the ground? Is it a standing desk as I thought? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Can you show a pic underneath? Should see marks showing where and what type of original legs, if there were any. Also, looks like drawer pulls were replaced when rework done, so pics there, and pics of top to see if it was really a writing surface would be helpful for you to figure out what it really was.

Based on what you’ve shown, it looks to me like it may not have been a desk. I see more likely a floor standing storage cabinet without any legs originally, but pic underneath and pics of top should tell the tale. What kind of shop - maybe would explain what was kept in drawers.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    judy, Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It looks like Gramps may have started w/ an antique clock/watch makers cabinet or spool cabinet & repurposed it into a standing desk.
    Looks like like w/ your collection of clamps-You'd be the guy to do it.
    How about a set of adjustable height antique cast iron legs-certainly would be unique.

judy likes this.
  4. DougK

DougK New Member

Top is slanted like a writing desk and has a leather overlay in the middle. It also has an ink well on top. Photo of bottom.

[​IMG]

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. DougK

DougK New Member

Photo's of top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under top:

[​IMG]

judy likes this.
  6. bosko69

Thanks Doug-More pics always helps w/ the detective work.

judy likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NOW I see the slight slant to the top, which I didn't see before.........Did you look under the drawers to check if there's a manufacturer's name?

52600650344_19264a95b6_z-3_00x.jpg

judy and antidiem like this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

No sign that this had any legs on it until the short ones added in the 70’s. So a counter-top cabinet, not designed to be on legs. You never answered what kind of shop your grandfather had. But it looks like Bosco’s guess was right, and this used to be a thread spool cabinet, probably from J&P Coats as the almost identical one in the below link.

Unfortunately all the stenciling was removed when it was refinished. You didn’t show the back, maybe still some there?And drawer pulls changed, and top plinth on the back added and inappropriate. But you can see how it started in this ebay auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265976554893

9. bosko69

Gad zeeks those have gotten expensive ! (least on Ebay).

10. DougK

DougK New Member

My great grandfather was a plumber or ran some type of business in a small midwestern town. I did some more research and came up with the name "clerks desk" instead of "standing desk". Its possible it always sat on a counter and had no legs. Here is a shot of some images on the back of it.[​IMG]

11. DougK

DougK New Member

I think I found its twin. It does appear that it was used to sell thread. Didn't know that. I guess I'll have to take the legs off and build a stand to set it on.

[​IMG]

12. bosko69

I've always loved those cabinets.W/ these you get a 'two-fer'-lovely Edwardian Advert piece & very useful little whatnot cabinet.

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

When you work on this make sure to leave the labels on the back untouched!

Draft saved Draft deleted