Heavy clear glass container? vase? --solid 2" glass base

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Is this just an artistic piece or would have been used for something specific? The base is so thick, piece quite heavy, just caught my eye at the thrift. 6.5" high. (Sorry, inside could use a cleaning.)

v1.jpg v2.jpg v1b.jpg

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

It looks like a perfume bottle to me.
    It would look nice with some little spring flowers in it though.

3. Lucille.b

Hi Messi, thanks for taking a look.

Are perfumes sometimes this big? (It weighs almost 3 lbs.) I was almost wondering if it had some former medical application. The question was whether the bottom slab of glass -2+" thick, was to assure this thing would not tip over, or was an artistic design.

Agree about the spring flowers, when I purchased it I thought, "no idea what this is, but it would make an intriguing vase."

4. Messilane

As nicely made as it is, and with that polished bottom, it almost has to be a perfume (missing it's stopper) or a vase of some sort.
    And yes, some perfumes are this big. When you consider that most of the thing is solid, with only a small part "open", it wouldn't have held all that much.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They made "toilet water" containers that large. People didn't bathe all that often, with predictable results. Ladies also often made their own perfumed waters, in low concentration but larger quantity. It could also be a liquor decanter missing the stopper and possibly a metal holder.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

don't forget that perfumes can simply be for decoration, too.

Might have had a stopper, but there's a lot of Scandi factories made this sort of form purely as a pretty shape. Looks 1950s or so.

I'd put a big branch of forsythia or flowering cherry in it and let it open in water.

gregsglass likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Probably something mentioned above. Thanks everyone. It is quality feeling in the hand, weighs like a tank, 3 lbs for just over 6", this is what had me confused-- I wasn't thinking it could have been for anything extremely mass produced. Bear, funny you should mention Scandi. It does have a bit of a Scandinavian feel -I just sold a heavy Orrefors bowl and this reminds me of it.

I do think would be lovely with flowers. And probably wouldn't tip. There isn't a lot of clearance in the top, and only goes down 3 inches or so, would have to be just the right thing.

I'm ready for spring.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You might try Daum. I had an ashtray with definite similarities.

9. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Could have been used to hold Arsenic.

10. Messilane

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted