Headless Male German Bisque Doll

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Dec 24, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

He's ~3" high, ~1 1/2" across his knuckles, his shoes are ~5/8" long. His torso is hollow, an' he weighs ~18 grams.
    He's pretty soiled, but I've no courage for approaching the cleaning of this fellow...fear of damaging the colors of his shirt, britches an' belt urge me to caution there.
    A guess puts him pre WWII; his garments may suggest earlier, but I'm over my head in that regard.
    I haven't tried an image search yet. He came to me in a plastic bag along with another, very dissimilar doll, which will be featured in my next post, in Textiles & etc.
    Is he unusual at all? Why was he cast with a butt-hole? All your thoughts an' comments are welcome, of course, an' Thanks for lookin'!

P1390877.jpeg P1390878.jpeg P1390879.jpeg P1390881.jpeg P1390884.jpeg P1390885.jpeg P1390883.jpeg P1390880.jpeg P1390882.jpeg

Chinoiserie likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The internet says that these were comic nodders. That would make sense. His clothing is 1920ish.

Debora

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 1.52.27 PM.png

3. wlwhittier

Aha! The hole in his butt was for the attaching cord or elastic that secured his head in place! Thanks, Debora!

An eBay search shows no headless offerings, nor sold items. I'm gonna clean him as carefully as I can, an' live with the results, good bad or indifferent. He'll then go with the several other things that are unworthy of listing effort.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The hole underneath the word 'Germany' could be there because it's a whistle & the toot comes out of his neck ?

judy, Chinoiserie and wlwhittier like this.
  5. wlwhittier

Yeah, I suppose it could, but I have doubts...especially since one would therefore be required to pucker-up to...well, er...gee, I'm not at all comfortable with the opportunity to state the obvious here, while avoiding the sensitivities of our European an' fastidious American members.
    Y'get my drift, Bosko? One has to wonder, sometimes, how your alleged mind works...If'n I didn't know otherwise, I would have to question just what it is that makes you tick...y'know? BTW...Merry Merry!

lvetterli, judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  6. bosko69

-'You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?'

kentworld, lvetterli and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. wlwhittier

My name is Warren, an' stop calling me Shirley!

8. bosko69

Stop by for a little fortified 'toot' later-have a blessed holiday amigo !

9. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Here's me thinking it's a 'My first butt plug' doll. :bag:

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It seems to have some kind of glaze, so probably not a bisque doll.
    I guess you don't have to worry about the sensitivities of our European members.:playful:

11. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! Needed that this morning!

Linda

12. bosko69

I'm laughing so damn hard-I need a butt plug ! Honey,where's the diapers !:arghh:

13. wlwhittier

Naw...paint only, an' light at that; soaked overnight in the very smallest amount of dish soap in a pint of cold water, which took most of it off. He's a bit cleaner, but now somewhat mottled. Into the cabinet with many other oddities...the kids will have to deal with him when I croak.

14. wlwhittier

Well...what a delight to have provided such a ripe opportunity for the standup comedians among us!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. bosko69

Well you know-that's one thing the Germans are known for,their legendary sense of humor.

Chinoiserie and kentworld like this.
  16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::muted:

pearlsnblume, judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  18. wlwhittier

Uncultured boor that I am, I'll confess that of the many peculiarities the Germans possess, humor isn't very high on the list. I'll allow that their language gives great scope for creative run-on word construction...which one might find laughable. That's about it, as far as funny ha-ha goes.

judy likes this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She does look like a she. Well found.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted