Hawaiian? tiki type carving - koa?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by aaroncab, Dec 19, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

This one has some good size to it 15" tall. It's a nice oddly shaped hunk of wood but balances and stands just fine on it's flat base. - I'm thinking Koa wood? I'm guessing this was probably a touristy type carving at some point - although seems to have a few years on it. Hawaiian? - guess that's the only place Koa would come from?

Thanks for taking a look!

First pic is the color as I found it. The rest of the pics are after polishing it. I have a habit of polishing wood carvings I find -at least hardwood ones. I went over it with a very light oil - and it darkened it up quite a bit as witnessed by the rest of the pics.

49236274913_f27efd84d2_4kdev.jpg 49236749766_87b9ba6940_4kdev.jpg 49236749796_d22f7a9f91_4kdev.jpg 49236749856_0406ee3b68_4kdev.jpg 49236749886_d459f8bde2_4kdev.jpg 49236277233_801f126fe2_kdev.jpg 49236973772_05baf68e36_4kdev.jpg 49236750101_d3da6ceb30_4kdev.jpg 49236276023_05155079ce_kdev.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I cannot say much about the origin of the item (Hawaii seems plausible), but I would like to suggest that it will be a sad day when you acquire an object of genuine ethnographic importance and decide to oil and polish it. Preserving an original/as found surface can add significant value (monetary and otherwise).

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  3. aaroncab

Okay then - it's a bad habit - that I need to stop! Thanks 2many - honestly need this type of feedback.

2manybooks likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what it looks like to me.

aaroncab likes this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

it is Hawaiian. If it were mine, I'd use it as a fish dispatcher ...that doesn't mean I don't like it, just that I need a new fishing club!!

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

These are sold in Hawaiian tourist shops, but I would suspect that most are carved elsewhere. There would be more chance of it actually being made in Hawaii if it were signed, which it doesn't appear to be.

The style is only loosely based on traditional Hawaiian tiki carvings. The way the eyes are carved, for instance, plus the way it is made to follow the form of the limb, rather than standing up straight, and the wood itself, are not traditional. It is more a version of what tourists expect to see as "Hawaiian," a possible result of the number of souvenirs that are actually made in Asia, by Chinese, Philippine, or Indonesian carvers.

Most of these eventually end up in mainland thrift shops.

7. aaroncab

Thank you Taupou, there's what might be initials on the back, I'll get a better picture posted, but I'll take your opinion that it's most likely a non Hawaiian made - hawaiian "style" touristy piece as very likely.

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's koa and Taupou's given an excellent explanation, thanks! :cat:

9. aaroncab

I'll probably keep it by the bedside to ward off, or pummel, intruders. I think it would do well for putting fish out of their misery as well.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. aaroncab

Here's the area that might be a sig...

20191219_161815.jpg 20191219_162027.jpg 20191219_161704.jpg

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

it's a club - doubt that would have much tourist appeal as display potential is limited (can't stand up) - I think it is Hawaiian and if it is Koa, unlikely to be carved elsewhere ...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Reminded me of the tv show The Brady Bunch Hawaii trip. Lol

13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I agree with Blooey - "if it is Koa, unlikely to be carved elsewhere" and yes, it is signed. No idea who signed it. In retrospect, I do not think this root or limb to be a Hawaiian souvenir, per se, but rather just a stick of valuable wood lightly carved by a non-serious wood worker. Mikey, I've never seen another.

Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it is unlikely that koa wood would be exported to be carved elsewhere with a Hawaiian subject.

aaroncab likes this.
  15. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

That's assuming that the wood actually is Hawaiian koa (acacia koa). There's a good article from the Honolulu Starbulletin that addresses the fake imported "koa" wood products made from Australian blackwood, that have been flooding the market:

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2002/02/03/business/index2.html

The other problem I'm seeing with this item is assuming that it is signed. Although the markings do resemble an "A", it is unlikely that it represents a signature, which would commonly be found on the bottom or base of the item, not hidden in a knot, where you have to search for it.

As has been pointed out, authentic Hawaiian koa wood is very expensive, and becoming scarce. While it may have been used for inexpensive souvenir items years ago, that would not be the case when this item was made.

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted