Featured Having Trouble Identifying this Slag Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Mar 31, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I bought this to save it. No one wanted it because it has a rim chip, but it intrigued me and I didn't want to see it get tossed.

Measures 6 3/8" high. I think it's old but I really don't know and have no idea where to start checking. Anyone have some advice or know who made it and when? TY!

DSCF5183.jpg DSCF5184.jpg DSCF5185.jpg DSCF5186.jpg DSCF5187.jpg

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Check NOrthwood something like Beaded Ovals.

3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Northwood 'Beads and Bark' c1903

lauragarnet, Lucille.b, *crs* and 2 others like this.
  4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, George! I tried all the beaded names I could think of.

Don, Beads and Bark it is! I've never heard of that pattern before. McCain says the vase is a novelty. It's kind of an ugly thing, but I'm glad that I saved it from the dumpster. Thanks for your help!

lauragarnet and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's so pretty! Very glad you rescued it.

6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

YES....!!!!!!

7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It looks edible :)
    Partly cuz of your pictures...

8. So NOT ugly! I love slag glass, and I think it's lovely. The thought of it in a dumpster makes me cringe. Good job!

lauragarnet likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Alisa - the top part is OK, but the bottom part reminds me of an animal seen in that movie with David Duchovny (aka Muldur) called Evolution. It just doesn't look like anything seen in nature, unless it's an artichoke plant (which I've never seen before other than the top parts in grocery stores).

lauragarnet and Alisa in Memphis like this.
  10. Well, there is that. :) The base does look like worms, kind of. I still love it!

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think the legs resemble knobby goat legs (don't know what that says about me though).

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What will you do with that nasty chip??

lauragarnet likes this.
  13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

It does look edible - like an ice cream cone!

Re chip: higher shelf, chip in back, or, a nice droopy flower or leaf or vine.

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That works!! I might have gone at it gently with a Dremel just to take off sharp edges.....that's JUST me.......

lauragarnet likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Do not use a dremel or any other mechanical thing. I use an emery stick used for manicures. It smooths down the sharp edges. No other damage needed.
    greg

lauragarnet likes this.
  16. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Huh. The bottom part looks like some kind of spiraled seashell and coral branches to me. :) Old thread. I know. I'm bored and no new threads, so I'm going back in a time warp.:rolleyes:

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted