Haviland Limoges Oyster Plate. What's the pattern?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by joe blowski, Jan 18, 2021.

1. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Hi all! I picked up this oyster plate in a pile of plates. It is chipped in several places and worn in others. I tried to identify the pattern using Pinterest and Ebay but without success. Anyone out there recognize this pattern? Thanks. OP-Top2.jpg OP-BackMarkjpg.jpg OP-Chip3Wear.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Very few Haviland patterns have pattern names. There is a coding system developed by a collector that some folks use but I was never able to get the hang of it. If you are planning to sell just list it as a Haviland Limoges oyster plate. It's likely to be of more interest to oyster plate collectors anyway rather than someone looking to fill in a dinner set. I wouldn't ask much for it. The oyster plate market is down right now and the damage limits its value.

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  3. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity, can Haviland be dated by pattern or stamp? Or are patterns never 'retired'?

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

There is no pattern list that can help with dating. These older patterns are all discontinued. The marks can be used to establish a rough time frame but they can be confusing. I'd estimate your plate as late 1800's.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted