Haven't A Clue....Southwest, N.A.?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tie.dye.cat, Apr 1, 2015.

1. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Sorry, I seem to be monopolizing the jewelry board lately, but I've got to clear up some of these mysteries I have and get them listed. :)

The design on this bracelet looks southwest to me. I've been unable to find the mark anywhere, and it does not look remotely like any southwest or NA marks that I found but I don't know what other direction to look towards.

It is stamped "MuS 2", and unfortunately, every time I search for that mark, all the results are museum jewelry (most specifically Metropolitan Museum of Art which has an "MMA" mark).

DSCN0097.JPG DSCN0101.JPG DSCN0107.JPG

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I wouldn't look in the Native American direction.

Sure, I haven't seen everything....but I've never seen this either.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its a Victorian piece,1870s maybe ?

spirit-of-shiloh and tie.dye.cat like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Johnny may be on to something. That arrow through a fruit (apple) was a common decoration back then.
    greg

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It yells Victorian to me, too. Nice blue enamel on silver with seed pearls. And yes, a very common sentimental motif. Can you get me a photo of the open clasp please?

6. tie.dye.cat

Y'all are the best!

Wow, was I way off. I didn't think that southwest or n.a. made sense given the font of that mark and the seed pearls, but I never would have guessed Victorian.

And here I thought that was a turnip with the arrow through it. :shame:

I'll post a pic of the clasp when I get home from work.

cxgirl and gregsglass like this.
  7. komokwa

Well, it doesn't really look like an apple....does it ?

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  8. gregsglass

Hi,
    Victorian poetic license.:rolleyes:
    greg

9. komokwa

'least you got the arrow right !!!!:):)

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Strawberry? Scared hairy heart.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A short, fat carrot. ;)

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  12. DanielD

DanielD Member

Hello,

Victorian, blue enamel set with seed pearls in possibly Austrian silver. Check the tongue clasp for a dog head hallmark (in a coffin shape). I have a similar piece.

Daniel

13. tie.dye.cat

Eureka! The tongue clasp was inserted backwards, hiding the mark, and making the bracelet unable to close tightly.

First picture shows how the clasp looked when I first inspected it.

Mystery solved with the added bonus of fixing the clasp. Thanks so much DanielD and everyone for their input! DSCN0575a.JPG DSCN0575b.JPG DSCN0575c.JPG

14. DanielD

DanielD Member

Glad to help! Without the hallmark I would have been pretty lost as well. I couldnt find much info on the actual maker of mine though, or what the symbol/number stamped inside mean either.

Daniel

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Buy a Sunshine cloth and give it a gentle clean. I think you'l find it will absolutely pop. Pity about the enamel damage, but it's still a nice thing.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  16. tie.dye.cat

I had started to wipe with a sunshine cloth, but then I got distracted with the clasp and didn't finish. A few swipes made it look better; a more thorough wiping later today will probably do wonders for the inside.

17. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

There's some great detectives here but have you tried the jewelry board on ebay
    A lot of peeps with lots of knowledge of jewels

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  18. gregsglass

Hi Sharon,
    It's a shame but a lot of us have been banned from ebay and a lot of us do not use ebay anymore. You could let a few of the people on the jewelry board know that we are here also. I remember them having trouble with trolls too.
    greg

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

I don't and won't use the Ebay boards any more. Especially the jewellery one. Sad, perhaps, but there it is.

20. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

actually I did many months back when this one started, I think most there prefer to stay there....but they are pretty darn good jewel detectives...there are a few here from there

tie.dye.cat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted