Have y'all seen one of these tables?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by George Kay, Jul 13, 2024.

1. George Kay

George Kay New Member

I scoured the entire web and cannot find another one like this table. I was hoping y'all can give me your professional insight as to what I have here please.

Measures 48" x48"

Attached Files:

2. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Looks like a game table. Can ya post pic's of the bottom?

3. George Kay

George Kay New Member

Thank you,
    Here's a picture of the bottom.

Attached Files:

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

How tall is it? from your photos it looks quite short, like a coffee table height.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its wanting to emulate a butlers tray table.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. George Kay

George Kay New Member

19" Tall
    48" x 48" Wide

7. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

This is actually a three part question.
    1. What style is it:
    It’s a loose adaptation of a Boston Queen Anne 1750 tea table with slides for candle stands plus added butler tray handles added for some strange reason - https://www.levygalleries.com/product/queen-anne-tea-table-with-slides/ https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-5648320
    2. When was it actually made:
    Factory made in second half of 20th century apparently in US (assuming you bought it in US).
    3. What use was it intended for:
    Impossible to say, most likely American coffee table or general use sofa table for colonial style home, possibly Asian eating table, other?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
    verybrad likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the handles are throwing me........
    48 inches square..... no one is picking that up by themselves...

9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  10. Jeff Drum

If you looked at the pic or links I gave, you’ll see that the originals I show are also dished or tray top tables. Dished top is believed to have been to contain spilled tea and prevent a mess on expensive clothing. Yours is just a closer copy of the ones I linked to.

There are several characteristics of these 18th century Boston tea tables that make them immediately identifiable, including mahogany wood, Queen Anne legs, carved dish tray tops and candle pulls (not drawers). Copies have been made ever since they were first identified. I was lucky enough to find a period example in old finish in the wild here in the Boston area.

11. George Kay

George Kay New Member

Does a copy such as mine command any value?

12. Jeff Drum

Not to an antique collector. But in good condition some value to a person who likes and needs it for use in their home. The difficulty is in finding those people - furniture is expensive and difficult to ship, so you are mostly stuck finding them local to you.

If you do find someone local who wants it, don’t expect to get a Chairish.com price, but some fraction of it.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted