Has anyone used the Ebay Jewelry Authenticity Guarantee ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bosko69, Dec 7, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I've read about this program this morning,has anyone here used,if so-is it a Yay or Nay ? Ebay infers it's 'free' to Seller & Buyer,seems dubious given Ebay's fee-based system.Haven't checked the Ebay feedback boards/blogs yet.Thanks for any info/opinions.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sounds ike a scam in the making........to me !:eek:

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The guy selling $5 jewelry is subsidizing it with their new higher jewelry selling fees

4. bosko69

Gotta be charging more some where -Ebays into charity as much as Bezos or Musk.Jewelry Authentication free(?) help.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The whole category is paying more

Even the ninety nine cent fakes from china

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Just took a look at their page on this. It's really for fine jewellery, as a way of backing up seller's representation when it comes to precious metal fineness & gemstone authenticity. But I have seen the most ignorant nonsense in appraisals of cameos written by people with 'GIA Cert.' after their name who can't tell helmet shell, coral & carnelian apart.

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  7. bosko69

Bronwen-Yes,I'd think it was for 'no-brainer' scientific testing of gem/karat authenticity-more assembly line than finessed aesthetic appraisal.
    It'd document my claim-'14K 40g' for an Albert Fob,documenting that the listed item was indeed 14k & 40g assayed/weighed in the event of a buyer wanting to pull a con or switch.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted