Featured has anyone seen a Steuben handkerchief vase like this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Sep 3, 2024.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I found a receipt for a Steuben signed cobalt with silver flecks bowl which sounded really unusual. I looked all over the estate sale house and finally found it in the cabinet with the Hans Dynasty horses. I had seen it in there numerous times but figured it was Italian. I wasn't too concerned because the interior seems a bit 'sick' so the price wasn't going to be a lot. My first thought looking at it was this is not Steuben. I did find the signature but it was up near the top which was was bizarre. The signature looks juvenile and did not seem to look like any of the other signatures on the Steubenglass.org site. I believe my client was snookered. Just want to make sure I am not over looking a real find! I shouldn't second guess myself but I know the client's children will ask. Thank you for looking. Approx. height 6.5 in., width 9.5 in. IMG_9057.JPG IMG_9059.JPG IMG_9060.JPG IMG_9061.JPG IMG_9062.JPG

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I had all the same reactions you did before I even read your text. I don't claim to be an expert on Steuben but there's a lot of red flags here.

bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. glassluv

glassluv Active Member

Steuben fan here. You have a forged signature. Steuben stopped making colored glass not long after 1933 and the signature would have never been so obviously placed.

laura9797, bercrystal, dgbjwc and 3 others like this.
  4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Well spotted! That signature is really rough.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That's one of those objects that if you had ever seen and touched one piece of the real thing, you would just know this was not it. Did she pay much for it? I guess that explains why you had trouble finding it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its a pretty enough vase on its own. Pity someone tried to scam.

*crs* likes this.
  7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone! I have sold quite a few Steuben in my day and not once did I ever have questionable signature nor a strange location. Almost 'defacing' the piece where it is.

8. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it is a contemporary piece of murano silver foil glass circa 1980's-90's which appears to be sic (water calcium deposits) on the inside... if you want to keep it for display you can try smearing a few drops of olive/vegetable oil on the inside and it should make the sic deposit disappear temporarily until it is washed again

Draft saved Draft deleted