Has anyone seen a desk like this before?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Crystal72384, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Crystal72384

Crystal72384 New Member

My husband and I recently started purchasing foreclosed storage lockers and we found this very old looking desk. We think that it is some sort of antique secretariat...

Has anyone seen anything like this one before? I tried to find something similar online but most of what I see has glass in the doors. I looked all over for some sort of brand name etc but didn't have any luck.

The top of the desk part pulls out I assume so you can write on it and the back actually has a little latch so you can open it. There seems to be some sort of hidden shelf back there.

Any ideas? IMG_4074.JPG IMG_4075.JPG IMG_4076.JPG IMG_4077.JPG IMG_4078.JPG IMG_4079.JPG

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

James Conrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

With how crude that back looks (tiny hinges, rough cut finger hole, block to keep it closed), i'd say the back was altered after purchase.

4. Crystal72384

Crystal72384 New Member

Wow I had never even heard of a paymasters desk before. It does look similar.

Am I allowed to ask what you think this is worth?

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, very little I am afraid. Additionally this looks like a "married" piece, i.e. the top & bottom originally went to something else.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too. That's one it would be just fine to mess with, since it's already been messed with. I think a funky paint job is in order.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted